Thursday, September 9, 2010

In Honor of Grandma Doris Mae Zander.

If you were to go to Dickinson, ND and stop by Country House, you would find my Grandma there, probably cuddling a baby doll. She's there but she's not. She has had Alzheimer's for many years now and has gotten to the stage where she doesn't remember anyone. It's sad for those of us that remember her life, to see her a shell of her former self. It's hardest most on my Grandpa Ray and on my mom and my aunts. It's like they have had to grieve her even though she is still here. Frankly, it really sucks.
With her great-granddaughter, Ali, this summer.

Our daughter was named using her middle name (Mae). I miss you Maelee and I miss you, too, Grandma Zander. One thing I miss most about my Grandma is her homemade buns. I LOVED them. She would bring me a bag full and I would hide under my bed to eat them (I guess I had a thing with sharing). She was a great cook. I remember one of the first times I realized she just wasn't herself was when I realized she couldn't remember recipes anymore.

Wedding Photo of Doris and Raymond Zander

Losing her mom to Alzheimer's has been especially tough on my mom. That's why I am so proud of her for taking initiative to start the Memory Walk in her hometown to help raise money for Alzheimer's research. Go mom! The walk in Williston, ND is happening on October 2nd. If you live there, feel free to join them that Saturday at the WSC campus (9am registration, 10am walk) or click here for more info.

If you would like to donate to helping end Alzheimer's, you can do so through my Memory Walk donation site by clicking here (or go to http://memorywalk10.kintera.org/williston/mae). I am a part of my mom's team: Tysse's Troupe! You can donate in honor or in memory of someone (PS: Maelee would be happy to have her memory honored in hopes to help out cute old ladies with this horrible disease).

And so you know: All Memory Walk donations benefit the Alzheimer's Association, the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. The mission of the Alzheimer's Association is to eliminate Alzheimer's disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.

With my dad and I at my wedding... where my grandparents danced together probably for the last time - a polka of course!


-Heather

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have to cherish each moment we have. Even if it is dance,laugh,even cry. I really try to to cherish each moment. Sometimes it is easier said than done. Your grandma looks very sweet. I would love to see more of your wedding pictures.

Love you
Tisha

Anonymous said...

She was such a good cook - how unfair that you wouldn't share your buns! The first time Jeff met her she served us pie in a store bought crust with jello pudding. It was when I realized that she was never going to be the same again. Grandpa and our mom/aunts have done such a good job taking care of her. I'm glad she is in a great place - I wish things were different. Amber

Anonymous said...

AWWWWW...what a lovely tribute to Grandma Doris. It brings tears to my eyes! I miss mom, too. Sometimes I fear that I won't remember her as she was...only as she is now. But then I see beautiful pictures of her and dad and read your stories about her infamous buns and know it will all come back to me! Thank you for posting this! I love you! Aunt Ruth

Nikole said...

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease because it doesn't just affect the patient- the family and friends are touched too. I too hope one day there will be a "cure" for this.