Sunday, October 31, 2010

Strawberry.

Halloween is an okay holiday, not my favorite but I'm not going to disown it all together. I mean, free candy! Whoop!

But today, like many other holidays and random milestones, is hard. Because last year I thought of all the cute costumes I could be dressing up my 6 month baby in. And I even bought some carter's "little pumpkin" outfits for her to wear this month, in 6 months and 9 months sizes, so no matter how big or little our pumpkin was, she'd have something cute and in season to wear.

And instead of her wearing them, I hung them on her dresser so when we walk by her room we see them. And instead of buying a costume, I just stare at them longingly at the store. Like I did last week when I saw the perfect Maelee baby costume: a strawberry.

Wouldn't she have been the cutest little strawberry with her red hair sticking out?! Seriously, there would have been so many photos taken of her this week, it would have probably been too much even for the grandparents.

So instead of being with her, figuring out our own little family traditions of the day, we are going to hole up... as in, be those horrible people that turn their lights off and not welcome trick-or-treaters. Granted, we've only had a handful the past few years so we won't be disappointing too many kids. But I have to protect my heart and emotions today, just in case some other brilliant parent decides to dress their baby up as a strawberry and come to our door.

-Heather

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maelee would have been the cutest little strawberry! I saw the perfect costume for Sophia this past month, too, a little cupcake fairy outfit. I had decorated her nursery with cupcakes, and Cupcake was my nickname growing up. I'm glad I didn't see any little cupcake fairies yesterday - that would have been hard. Thinking of you!

Lisa

TheSpeights said...

You know... I never realize just how many things there are out there to remind you guys of Maelee. It breaks my heart to read this. I'm so sorry you had to worry about little red-headed strawberries coming by. Maelee would have been the cutest one of all! Look who her parents are!! Do you think Jesus lets the kids dress up? I've got you all in my prayers and thoughts ALL THE TIME and love you all. This holiday is over. You and Greg will find strength through the next two. Great things are on the horizon. I just know it.

Maelee is missed.
love
-Court

Jill K said...

We miss that little strawberry too... so much. cry for her and talk about her much...

loving you guys and praying-

Rebekah said...

Sending love to you and prayers up for you. ~Rebekah

Ausmerican Housewife - Creating with Kara Davies said...

Last year we stuck a note on our door saying "No candy, sorry." This year we were away for a couple nights and only saw a few people dressed up in the grocery store. (Halloween isn't done down here much, but its starting to gain momentum.) Hopefully next year we'll have a little pirate all dressed up.