Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hope Does Not Disappoint.

Grief. It's a word normally associated with death. Because of Maelee, we have known it well. It's taken up residence in our house and we have curled up next to it on the couch too many times. But I have learned that grief is something that doesn't belong solely to death. It is in the aftermath of many types of tragedies or circumstances, too numerous to name. And I could bet all the tea in China that you have experienced it. I never quite put a name to it when it hit us two years ago. I started working at CIU (where Greg is getting his MDiv) coordinating campus visits but eventually was offered a new position I would say was close to my dream job helping first year students transition well. The job was in a great office, working with great people, doing something needed and significant. And it fit me well. Sadly because it was a brand new position, it was the first to go with all the budget cuts resulting from the recession. We found out only months into it that the position would be cut as of May 2009. So I worked for four months trying to plan orientation events that I knew I wouldn't get to be a part of and doing a lot of organizing. And then I was jobless. I had tried finding a new job but higher ed positions were significantly lacking. I had one interview where there were over 350 applicants for one position. Ah I'm getting away from my point... I realized later that I really had been grieving my job loss. I had poured myself into my jobs and my employer (that's how I roll) and when it was taken from me, I went through an array of emotions. Sadness. Anger. Hurt. Bitterness. Frustration. Jealousy. Disappointment. Looking back those emotions sort of mirrored the stages of grieving. And just driving onto campus at times in the last two years would bring up these emotions for both Greg and I. I'd say grief has been a large part of our lives specifically since being in South Carolina. Leaving our lives, family in ND. Ectopic Pregnancy. My job. Maelee. Grief looks and feels different depending on the circumstances. And of course, I'd lose a thousand jobs before losing a child. But any significant loss is going to hurt. And it's going to take time to process. So if you find yourself grieving the loss of someone, something little or monumental, give yourself time to grieve well. Grieve out loud. Grieve knowing it's not hopeless. "and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Romans 5:5 And if you know someone is grieving, walk alongside them, love on them. Our dear friends have been experiencing the loss of not one but two failed adoptions (where the birth mom decides to parent at the last minute) in the past few months. We've tried to join them in their grief. To let them know we are devastated with them. To let them know it's okay to not be okay. -Heather

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather - That is so true! So many circumstances in our lives in addition to the death of a loved one bring about a grief process. I also didn't realize this until we lost Sophia, and I then read books about the grief process. I realized that I went through a lot of grief when we moved from Grand Forks to Munich. We decided to move suddenly because my father-in-law had died, and we were needed to take over the farm. I loved my life in Grand Forks - my friends, job, church, shopping ;), and our new house. Not many people understood or were sympathetic to our situation, so I felt alone in a lot of it. Now I realize that I wasn't given the opportunity and validation to be able to greive appropriately.

And I agree with you, I would rather give up 1,000 new homes than lose a child. But I have learned to not deny when I am sad and need to grieve - it is a healthy and appropriate response to unwanted change.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Well said. Love you!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

Thanks for your comments. A pastor that Jim and I went to high school with just lost his 7 week old baby and this post was something I really needed to hear today - I even sent the Romans 5:5 verse to Julia (the mom). Thanks for walking through your grief and pain so openly - Maelee's life is making a big impact. Hope you all have a wonderful time in ND! :)

Stephanie @ O Happy Day said...

Heather, First of all, I feel like I need to confess that I don't know you. I linked to your blog through reading another blog. I have just spent about an hour reading your family's story and I am just sobbing at my computer. I just wanted to let you know how much of an encouragement your story is. 2 weeks ago today, my husband and I had our "worst.day.ever". We went to my 12 week OB appt. only to find out our baby no longer had a heartbeat. My most recent blog post details it, but I just wanted to let you know that reading your blog has brought me some comfort. My head knows that God has a reason for this and His plans are far greater than my mine, but it doesn't make my heart hurt any less. I just wanted you to know how the Lord has used your blog today.