Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Six Weeks and Counting.

My six-week follow-up appointment was yesterday afternoon. I am definitely noticing that it is harder getting from point A to point B with a child. Picture me carrying: Eli in his car seat, diaper bag, water bottle, juice container full of used syringes, and a lovely basket full of snacks (for the office). I'm sure I looked hilarious heading into the office.

It was fun to share Eli with the doctor's office and say thank you for the great care we received. Eli spit up all over himself, the floor, and one of the nurses that was holding him. Nice way to say thanks bud. Thankfully the nurse didn't think it was a big deal (and it was nearing closing so she didn't have to smell Eli spit up throughout the day).

And to remind everyone about the importance of watching your words when dealing with loss...

I had an interim tech lady who took my BP and asked me questions to verify info for a new sheet for my file. She said "and you've been pregnant three times" and I say "yes." Then she looks further down the chart, sees the first two pregnancies didn't end up with a live baby, and says "third time's a charm!"

Wow. Really? Please save the idiom for something trite, not for human life.

Minus that hiccup, things went well. I learned I need to start drinking a lot more water. And the very best thing I learned was I get to stop taking my shots!

Enter cheers and applause and a little happy dance!

I've been giving myself a shot in the stomach every day since the day after I found out I was pregnant. Really not fun. I'll spare the details. But completely worth it because I have a baby in my arms. No more syringes for me!

Six-week old Eli is doing great. He's around 11 pounds or so. I think he has his nights/days somewhat figured out. He now usually goes one stretch a night that is four hours from start to start of a feeding and another three hour stretch... much better than every two that he often does during the day.

He has good awake time on his play mat most everyday. He's a bit of a narcissist. Loves the mirror on the play mat. And yesterday I was working on his announcements, put one in front of him and he stared at it for a long time (most likely thinking "man! that guy is one good looking dude!").

But the very best thing that Eli does now is smile at his momma! It's unbelievably adorable. Way better than the sleepy or full belly or gas relief smiles. If only everyone that feels like no one loves them could have a baby... this little being staring at you, thinking you are the best in the world. Nothing boosts morale like a baby smiling at you.

The last six weeks have been the best of our lives, Eli fulfilling so many dreams and desires. It's also been hard having to come face-to-face with how selfish we really are. Yuck. And we still really have no idea what we are doing. But this new reality, of Greg and Heather and Eli living our lives on earth as a family, is downright amazing. And what those lives will entail... ooh the possibilities!

-Heather

3 comments:

TheSpeights said...

I am so happy for you guys! I love that you have baby stories and elation at everything new thing he does. You all are an amazing family and God has blessed you all and all of your friends and family to have you all in our lives. I love these posts. Keep them coming because they brighten up my day!

Anonymous said...

Love the post! More than that, loved getting to see Baby Eli yesterday! What a handsome little guy he is! So glad your check up went well and Eli is doing well, too! Doing a happy dance for you that your syringe days are over!

Love,
Ami

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about a good appointment!! Those are always nice! Its amazing how fast they grow up, even six weeks! Smiles are the best!! Can you post some more pictures? I sure miss seeing him.
The learning curve for raising children is pretty amazing but wouldn't trade it for anything. You are amazing parents!!
Sorry for the random thoughts, but I so glad things are going well for you!
-Chris I