Friday, July 20, 2012

Low Pain Tolerance.

I'm going to openly admit something that is a little humbling.

I'm fairly certain I have a low pain tolerance. I'm pretty sure I'm a wuss. I do not think I am able to withstand a lot of pain without drugs or at least, without a lot of whining, wincing or screaming in pain.

There. I said it. Now some of you may have already figured this out about me (yes, I hear you Amber, Mom). But I guess in my head, I always thought I was this really awesome Midwestern girl that could handle a lot. I was tough. I didn't cry when I got a little boo-boo.

You want to hear the (slightly embarrassing) story that caused my revelation?

Yesterday morning I made an appointment for that afternoon to get some antibiotics for a sinus infection I am battling. Later on I was talking on the phone with my aunt when she told me she had broken a bone in her foot. I felt so bad for her and then I started thinking "odd, my foot hurts". Later as it kept hurting I remembered I had dropped something on it the night before. I thought it was odd but I've had enough little owies to know that I'll walk on it and it should 'loosen up' and feel fine later.

Fast forward a few hours. I realized I may need the doctor to look at my foot. Who calls for an appointment for a sinus infection and ends up coming in with a banged up foot? But my left foot REALLY started to hurt. I called Greg and told him he may need to actually take me in for my appointment as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to walk. I could put pressure on my heal but my arch couldn't move up/down without crazy pain. I then put Eli down for a nap while I laid down, put my foot up to rest and type an email... by the end, I couldn't think b/c my darn foot was throbbing and no position it was in would give it any relief.

Why didn't I take a pain killer here? Why didn't I wrap it to apply some pressure? Why didn't I ice it for awhile? Not smart. Eli woke up, I hobbled in there in pain... even tried taking a few breaths and just sucking up the pain but it was too much. I got him and hop-carried him to our bed while yelping out in pain. Such a drama queen. I called Greg and told him he'd for sure need to help me get to the doctor's office... but that I just may be crazy b/c my foot wasn't even swollen.

Indeed my loving husband came to save the day. Got us to the doctor's office, wheeled me in (even though I did request no wheelchair) and waited with me. I told the doctor my weird foot story... saying "maybe I'm just crazy" which he said "well, foot injuries are usually quite painful". However, I must be a little crazy because after the (pointless) x-rays, we learned I did not break my foot and that I just damaged the soft tissue or tore a ligament. Nothing major. Most of me was glad for this (how would I take care of an almost 15 month old with a bum foot?) but a little part of me was disappointed because I had no justification for how painful it felt! I swear, it really did hurt.

After some pain meds, wrapping it and putting it up while I slept, it felt better already last night. And after a night of rest, I could walk with a slight limp this morning. As long as I'm not on that foot too much, it feels fine. Meds and rest. Sigh. Now I will eat my humble pie. I am not amazon woman strong.

I was so thankful last night for access to awesome medical care, drive-through pharmacy with access to good drugs, drive-through local restaurant with access to cheeseburgers... really, so blessed to live in America. We are indeed. As someone that apparently has a very low pain tolerance, I do not want to take these things for granted. I will probably need them again for possible future injuries, justified or not.

-Heather

Also, I added another 100 gold stars to Greg's lot. He never made me feel like a wuss, he took care of us well, never complained I messed up his day (even though he had an important meeting last night and ended up with no time to prepare for it). Love that man.

No comments: