Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hurdles.

Sometime this summer when I was thinking of possible future pregnancies, I imagined a bunch of hurdles lined up on a track. I am not a runner by any stretch of the imagination nor have I ever attempted to be a hurdler. However, I feel like we are in this incredibly tough hurdle marathon. Hurdle marathons probably don't exist, I know, but bear with me.

Hurdle #1 | Getting Pregnant
This may seem like a no brainer to many. It is not. We do not, for one second, take getting pregnant lightly. There are so, so, so many women that wish more than anything that they could get pregnant and month after month are crushingly disappointed. Just being able to have a positive pregnancy test is a miracle.

Hurdle #2 | Is Baby in the Right Place?
Since our ectopic pregnancy in 2008, our biggest concern right away was finding out if baby is in the right place (uterus). Thankfully our first ultrasound showed the pregnancy sac inside the uterus. Big sigh of relief! Then we had another ultrasound later to actually see the baby and make sure things were fine. Another sigh.

Hurdle #3 | Getting to 12 weeks
Miscarriages usually happen before 12 weeks so most woman think once they hit this point, they are golden. And thankfully most are, since 2nd and 3rd trimester losses are much rarer (however, we know that there are no guarantees). Many woman go through the pain of miscarriage, some in secret, and it is hard. Loss is hard no matter when it happens. I am grateful for every moment we have with this new baby and glad to have made it past this third hurdle.

Upcoming hurdles include: baby passing 18-week ultrasound tests, responding to the many inquiries, "Is this your first baby?" appropriately, not developing thrombocytopenia or preeclampsia or a host of other weird problems, making it through another Easter Sunday very pregnant, getting baby out healthy and in our arms (then the hurdles of parenting a new born start... which is a whole new marathon (that we are so willing to run)), etc.

Essentially every day is a bit of an emotional hurdle for me. Wondering and worrying and praying and hoping that baby is okay... and this will probably get more all-consuming as my induction date looms closer. My hope: to have a baby in my arms alive and healthy by May 1. Though this little one's due date isn't until mid-May, they will most likely induce when I hit 37 weeks the last week in April (yet another hurdle in itself).

One hurdle I'm looking forward to: the December 16 ultrasound where we find out if baby is a boy or girl (more on my philosophy behind that later!).

-Heather

9 comments:

TheSpeights said...

I think about you guys all the time. I am excited for you both with this new baby. I want for you guys what I know to be the best experience in the world. I tell Greg how excited I am all the time, but you are not alone in your worry. Worry is what I do even though I know giving it God is so much better! God has certainly blessed you and Greg with this new life. Keep praying, try your best to give all your worry to God (He's pretty good with these things) and enjoy this pregnancy as best as you can. You have an ARMY of people praying for all of you. This little baby is already loved so much. You and Greg are going to be FANTASTIC parents.

Love you four,
Court

Lauren said...

SO SO SOO excited for you! I might cry! Praise the Lord for His blessings! We have been praying for y'all for so long, and neither our prayers for you nor our faith in the Lord waivers. You are deep in my heart and all through my prayers!
Lauren

Diane Kemp said...

I am so very excited for you and Greg. I just found out by reading your blog. I am so thankful that you are already past the 12 week mark and past several of the hurdles. God is so good. You will continue to be in my prayers.

Let Love Grow said...

Praying with over each hurdle!!! For you AND Greg AND Baby. Interesting... i notice I think of you and pray for you when I go over the bridge of the "Broad River" ... :-)

Anonymous said...

So excited for your family! Thank you for being so real with us. We will be praying for these hurdles.
Chris I

Laurel said...

Lifting you up daily and praying so hard for all of your hurdles,
Love from Bill and Laurel

Anonymous said...

Excited to hear your news! May our Lord give you the courage, moment by moment, to to trust Him for each hurdle.

praying,
Joel and Becky

Tengesdal 4 said...

Praying for you as you get past these hurdles... praying that we will all celebrate as you cross this pregnancy finish line and begin the parenting marathon!

Jill K said...

Heather,

This is good stuff to hear from you. You have, once again, expressed yourself so well and shared such helpful stuff for us to know, to better support and understand and pray for you.

And... I think there is something to be said- please forgive me if you think the analogy doesn't stretch this far- but I think there is something to be said for the grace of God seeing you through each and everyone of these hurdles that is in some mysterious, hard and wonderful ways- more spectacular because of these hurdles. (Just like a marathon is cool, but a hurdles marathon!? All the more incredible!) For sure, every pregnancy has it's hurdles, but there is a great crowd standing with you, cheering you guys on as you run through the many set out before you in these months ahead.

Oh we love you. Looking to Him to give you grace and great strength for each hurdle ahead....