Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving.

My friend Jillmarie came from Colorado to our house for Thanksgiving this year. Jill and I have been friends since junior high. She's a great friend... sometimes we don't talk for months but we can still pick up a conversation like we saw each other yesterday. Also, I don't care if my house is a mess when she's around. That says something.

Greg ended up getting sick all last week and then I got a migraine at the end of the week, so we weren't the most fun people to come visit but we still had a good Thanksgiving. We made enough food for ten people, not three, and I'm already looking forward to the leftovers being gone.

In the midst of our grief and joy and worry, I would be foolish to think there is nothing to be thankful for. Indeed, we have so abundant of blessings I couldn't count them. Here's a few of mine off the top of my head:

  • a rainbow baby and a doc appointment tomorrow
  • grace, from the Lord, from my husband, from our family and friends
  • gorgeous leaves
  • family
  • that moment when a food craving is fulfilled
  • getting to talk about our hometown and reminiscing with Jillmarie (and now craving food I can't get: webe pizza, ranch dressing from gramma sharons and a burger from service drug)
  • bright sunny southern days
  • all the material stuff and convenience we have living in America
  • for a beautiful firstborn and the promise of heaven someday
  • christmas decor
  • clean sheets
  • a truly beautiful marriage
  • being able to approach the throne of grace with confidence
  • packages from aunt ilene (the latest included another wonderful small-town western ND cookbook, brand-new $5 bills and smiley face stickers just like always)
  • creative people
  • disposable tissues... glad we don't do the hanky thing
  • that moment when you realize you are feeling better and you are rightfully thankful for your health instead of the typical taking-it-for-granted
  • relationships
It is good to be thankful.

-Heather

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So thankful for great friends for a lifetime! You and Jillmarie look GREAT! Reminds me of all the fun times we had in college. I so miss hanging out like that.
-chris I

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post! I'm thankful for you - soon baby K will get the crisp 5s instead of you! Amber

Jill K said...

Heather, so glad that this great medicine of thankfulness is showing such great work in you. You are beautiful and this list of grateful things is wonderful to read! So sorry Greg has been so ill! So grateful for that blessed sound yesterday!

We love you!!

Anonymous said...

we missed all you dear ones this Thanksgiving and as it was just Dad, G&G Kasowski, Amy and Andrew we had a small group to share our thankful moments. I shared how thankful I am that we have 2 beautiful grandbabies coming and that we look forward to the day we hold Maelee again in heaven. Oh how we miss her! Love and prayers always,

Mom aka Grandma