Sunday, September 25, 2011

Rainbow.

I'm not sure if you know it, but babies born after a loss are called "rainbow babies." I can't recall why that is exactly. Something like they are the bright spot after the storm. At one point I thought it was in reference to the rainbow in the Bible, when God tells Noah "yeah, no worries, I'm not going to destroy the earth ever again in a crazy consuming flood" (my translation), a sign of a promise of hope and trust.

But to be completely honest, when I first heard the term sometime after Maelee died, I thought it sounded... meh. Lacking. Dumb even. Maybe that was the grief talking or the cynical me coming out. Though when we did get pregnant with Eli, I used the term quite gladly, even if I did think it sounded silly. And recently I read a great blog post from Molly Piper about her rainbow baby whom she calls her Redemption Baby. I like the sound of that!

But tonight, well, tonight I'm all about the rainbow baby terminology. Why? Because darn it, rainbows are awesome. They are beautiful, really stinkin' beyond this world beautiful. And that's how I feel about being blessed with Eli in our lives. There was death, a furious storm, destruction... then there was life, redemption, a promise of beauty.

Without further ado, here is our wonderful rainbow baby with the glorious rainbow displayed for us to enjoy after the downpour storm that took place here tonight:

 
I get teary if I look at this shot too long.

He was a bit confused why we were so excited.
It was actually a double rainbow, too.

Photoshop  PW Action Vintage
 
The lighting on this one is most accurate to what it was like tonight... orangey grey.

 
We squeezed him into this "Mommy's Little Man" onesie one last time tonight, so glad for him wearing it for these spur-of-the-moment shots!

I can't describe how grateful I am for this redemption rainbow boy. 

-Heather

4 comments:

Jill K said...

oh.... OH yes. Thanks Heather. This is an exquisite post. So fun to get to read so much of your heart gushing out here and to have it be SUCH JOY. I love this. Love the pics. Love those smiles, that little bum, that rainbow.... and Oh The Redemption and Beauty evidenced.... oh the Hope of full redemption to come, when Maelee will be enjoying rainbows with you all around the throne of God. (His throne is encircled with rainbows you know, Rev 4:3)

I love all these shots, but perhaps the last is my favorite of favorites... oh that smile!

Sending you all lots of love (and cheers that my cookies have finally gotten over themselves and I can comment again!)

Anonymous said...

Ditto here from the Grandma/Mom who is blessed beyond words by these pictures. So much joy and hope and love in them...we are truly blessed sons and daughters of the King of kings!

Anonymous said...

Your story of the redemption rainbow baby is one of my very favorites! God's gentle reminders of His faithfulness to us in a rainbow...how absolutely beautiful! Eli is so very precious...his smile radiating God's love with the double rainbow in back of him, is just inspiring! I might have to get a copy of that one to frame! Aunt Ruth

Ashley said...

what amazing pictures you got! I got all teary eyed myself! God is so good to bring you through such deep grief and to bring you to a joy you couldn't imagine! Praising God with you for sweet Eli! He is THE CUTEST!!! :)