Saturday, September 10, 2011

Wishing It Wasn't So.

My Grandma Doris Mae (where we got the Mae for Maelee's name) has Alzheimer's. And today in Dickinson, ND many of my family members are gathering together, wearing purple and walking in hopes to raise money to help find a cure to end Alzheimer's. Oh how I wish it could be done!

It's been a hard journey for my family, watching my Grandma these last 10+ years. She doesn't know anyone now, can barely hold a conversation, a shell of her former self. She's at a most wonderful care facility for Alzheimer's patients in Dickinson. My mom, Eli and I were able to stop by on our way back to Bismarck. Introducing Eli to his Great-Grandma Zander was sweet. Her comment "oh he is heavy."
 




I remember being pregnant with Maelee and getting so excited to have that Four Generations photo with her and my mom. I ache for that still. Needless to say, this photo is a treasure:


I love you Grandma Doris! Someday things will be right again.

-Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, Heather! It was a lovely day and a wonderful turn out! So far have raised $22000...not bad for little ole Dickinson! Your Mom won the gift that I donated, too! She traveled the farthest. And Bonbon won the most $'s raised...thanks to the memorials from Grandpa's funeral:) A success for sure. Your pics are priceless...wish I would have been there. Thanks for posting them and sharing them with us! Love you! Aunt Ruth