Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Boot Camp.

I went to a work-out boot camp today. I've never really been in shape... though I've had many valiant attempts including:
  1. Junior High track team. Yes, I, who can't run and absolutely hates running, was in track for a year. Purely because all the cool kids were and I was always one to jump on any bandwagon. I ran the 800. I puked every time I ran it in full.
  2. High School aerobics class with Mrs. Slagle: a total joke, I rarely broke a sweat even with Richard Simmons and his short shorts and abundant chest hair motivating us from the 26-inch screen in the middle of the gym.
  3. Williston High School girls golf team. There is no fitness in high school girls golf.
  4. Fitness for Life class in college where the only thing I learned was that I was out of shape and what DOMS are (delayed onset muscle soreness, thankyouverymuch).
  5. Wellness Center at UND. I went to an ab class. Once. Oh the pain!
  6. Curves our first year of marriage: I always felt really athletic and in-shape compared to all the old ladies who came to gossip...but I wasn't.
  7. Free gym at CIU. I would go for a few days every once in awhile and rock the elliptical machine but the motivation would wane and then I wouldn't see the place for months... then not wanting to go on campus once my job was cut and be the walking awkward.
  8. Pregnancy aerobics. I did a 20-minute workout most days starting in December. I did some yoga-type stuff as well to work on my flexibility thinking it would help me in labor. This is the most consistent I've ever been in making fitness a part of my daily living because I had the baby as motivation.
I am not an in-shape, loves to get up at 6am and run a few miles type of person. I don't like working out and sweating and feeling the burn. But since Maelee died and I'm still carrying around weight and no baby... I knew I needed to do something or it would just make me more depressed. And I'd really like to be able to fit in my pants! It's so depressing looking at the big stack of pants, capris and jeans and not be able to even squeeze into them. And I am married to Mr. In-Shape who works out nearly every day. Greg runs a few miles and lifts weights and probably has negative body fat. I don't resent him one bit but I would like to be a wife that enjoys doing sporty-like activities with her husband. And I don't want to become the tall, skinny man and short, plump wife duo (though sometimes that's such a cute combo). So today my dear friend, Heather (H1), and I went to get our baby weight off and get back in shape. Heather lost her beautiful twin girls, Emily and Molly, at full term last January. We've only been friends for a short time but we obviously have more than we'd like to in common... and she's been a great encouragement to me. It's nice to have someone else that's been in your shoes. And Heather and Marc don't have other kiddos (yet) and Heather doesn't have a job either... so alas, we can go work out in the middle of the afternoon. And I give her all the credit for forcing me to do this with her :) It's going to be an expensive, tiring, painful, annoying, humbling 8-weeks of boot camp. (Okay, I made it sound like I was actually going to boot camp instead of two or three times a week for one hour). But hopefully that (along with at-home cardio) will help me become healthy and get back into the ideal/normal range of my BMI. At least I hope so... otherwise the fact that I can barely walk right now is all for nothing! -Heather

8 comments:

TheSpeights said...

I used to be the athletic type. I was for many years, too. I have let that life slip through my hands and am struggling to find the motivation to get back into it. Reading this entry makes me feel like I can do it "with" you. I have my workout clothes in a bag and ready for some sweating at the good ol' BlueCross gym. I will be sore with you! WE CAN DO IT!

Heather said...

Thanks for huffing and puffing with me today H2! I can barely move tonight either and sure hope in 8 weeks, we are a ton more healthy and have rockin' bodies to show for it:)

Bill Crosby said...

If you are trying to compare your body to Greg's body, you are in trouble. There is something genetically wrong with those K-ski boys. They consume, but they don't store. They work hard, but they don't sweat. It is really quite strange. As one with a scientist mind, I would love to be as close to one as you are, so I could study them in their natural habitat.
But, until we unlock their genetic code and begin to bottle their fat-burning ability, keep up the good work! As a 215 lb., technically obese male, who has run a 1/2 marathon - twice, all things are possible through Christ who strengthens you!

Diane Kemp said...

Good for you! You have an accountability partner but more importantly you have Christ living inside of you. All things are possible through Christ who strengthens you! You can do it. It will be hard. You will be tired. You will be sore. But you will be creating a newer healthier you! Plus an added benefit is exercise helps with stress and depression.

Linnea said...

Bill: Don't forget, they live on cereal!

Heather: You go girl!

Jill K said...

Wow Heather, you've gotten busy with boot camp and posting here! Way to go. I love reading your words....

Praying that boot camp will be a really encouraging thing for you in a hundred ways....

Much love,
jill

Let Love Grow said...

Woooo-Hoooo!! Way to Go Heather!! :-) You made me smile and laugh... as i read this.

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,
I laughed out loud when I read this! I still remember us at Fr. Tony's ordination trying to play air hockey. Could there have been 2 more unathletice participants? At least we know how to have fun! oh...how i miss you that wonderful son of mine!

Much love,

Mom K