Saturday, June 26, 2010

Last Weekend's Getaway.

We want to thank all our Kasowski siblings for an amazing weekend away. It was a hard milestone-filled weekend and it was sweet for them to think of sending us away for it. Thank you Matt, Jill, Chris, Amy and Andrew for blessing us with the fanciest place either of us have ever stayed.


We were supposed to leave at 2:30pm on Friday but Greg came home and crashed at 1:00pm. He was feeling crappy for a few days prior... and it sort of hit him then. He slept while I packed. I was not having a good birthday. I had to kill a cockroach. It was hot. I was hungry. I was selfish. Greg was sick. Blah. We got on the road and I had to drive (I never drive anymore... I usually get to sleep in the passenger seat). Then we got a little lost. Basically, I was not having a great day.

But then we arrived to our destination at Three Pines View, in the mountains of SC. The place is beautiful. It's only been open a year and it's fancy. We figure it had to cost 4 million or so... they did not cut any corners building the place. It's a sweet B & B-like place owned by a nice older couple... who came out to greet us and carry in our luggage. That's when my birthday finally turned around.The siblings had them make us dinner. It was delicious... the meals we had were definitely some of the best we've ever had. One breakfast included orange-pineapple juice in martini glasses, fresh fruit (some from their garden), crisp bacon, fluffy veggie omelets, wonderfully unique fried-ish pancakes with walnuts and pure maple syrup... I know, right?! Sidenote: Mr. Hayes is a great chef so I had him try our chippers so he could make the northern delicacy someday.

Sweet view!

The place is designed very well. And the bed! Oh it was pure comfort. Every piece of furniture in the place was top of the line. I never wanted to get up once I sat down. Sweet luxury.

We had a twirly staircase in our place!

We didn't do a whole lot during the weekend since Greg was sick. We lounged, absorbed the views of God's creation, watched some World Cup, flipped channels, read, took photographs, thought about Maelee, processed some grief.

But we did get out and see some beautiful waterfalls:

You could drive under this one (Greg decided to take a shower).

Why couldn't Columbia be in the mountains!!

Greg got a little wet from the waterfall shower...
and I really should have photoshopped the dude in the red out of the background.

Very peaceful.

Every sweet thing we experience these days isn't quite as sweet. Like its tarnished. I don't know if it will always be that way or not. Will waterfalls and flowers and sunsets ever look as they should? I await heaven... for I hope that there, indeed, they will be even better. Regardless, I recognize the blessing we had by getting this weekend getaway and a chance for relaxation. It was needed and appreciated.


-Heather

3 comments:

Kim said...

I am so glad you were able to get away. What a wonderful gift from the siblings! You talked at the end about things ever being sweet again. It has been my experience that they do get sweet again but with a new perspective. They are sweet because they represent a loving, creative, faithful and ever present Father and sweet because they are a taste of all the wonder that awaits us when we see the Father and our families are whole. Still oraying for both of you.

TheSpeights said...

Wow! No other words necessary.

Jill K said...

Oh we are so soo glad...

May there be ever increasing encouragement and comfort, healing and peace and even renewed joy for you. I wouldn't even bother wishing for it except for Jesus.... I know he can, he will even do this and even more.

We love you so-