Sunday, January 30, 2011

Burn.

I might have just gotten sunburned. I've been sitting on our porch for the last hour. It's 70+ degrees and sunny. And now my face is red. This is a good problem to have. Especially in January. And that got me thinking how often I've said that statement in the last few days. Greg and I have been discussing a host of things lately and I keep ending up saying: "and that's a problem I'm happy to have." Greg agrees. So many decisions to make about baby and parenting... from the mundane, to the minor and petty, to some more major, can't-shove-that-one-under-the-rug things. Many changes in life are hopefully going to happen. We all know that change isn't easy. So Greg and I talk about what we are going to do if scenario A comes up, then we laugh and realize we have no idea what we may do if that scenario arrives. And then I say "well, that's a problem I'll be happy to have." People say babies change everything. They do. My daughter certainly did. And I know my son will, too. There are so many life changes and decisions that we will face when and if he comes into this world alive. And I just want everyone to know that we are happy, beyond happy, to make those changes and decisions. Even if they are hard. Even if it causes issues and problems. We GET to face those. All those questions young mothers ask, I will finally get to ask and face and wrestle with God about. All those decisions new parents make about how to raise a child, how to have a child sleep and eat and poop right, how to still have a strong marriage while having a baby depending on you, how to afford diapers, how to not have your life revolve around your kids, how to have a kid who you actually want to be around because they are real and hilarious (because you've given them your sense of humor, of course), how to still have single friends and non-kid friends, and as Christians, how to raise a child who loves the Lord and loves others so ridiculously that that's how their known... and the list goes on and on (there is a reason parenting is one of the bestselling book topics). We will be so happy to get to have those problems. Until then, we are apprehensive about making decisions and preparing for baby's arrival. We aren't ready. And that's okay. We don't have to be yet. What we are, however, is grateful to have this boy now and hoping for an abundance of decisions and changes to come. -Heather Also, sunscreen is important. I am not saying getting a sunburn is a good idea. Red-heads need sunscreen.

1 comment:

TheSpeights said...

I love reading your blog. I constantly pray for you guys!