Thursday, March 15, 2012

Out for Some Sky.

I had a "meh" feeling all last weekend. Just didn't feel great or motivated and maybe feeling a little stuck. For me some of the best medicine is a nice drive. I'm certain this stems from growing up in flat land... plus the fact there is really wasn't a whole lot to do back home so for entertainment we would drive around. And around. And around. I know a large chunk of my high school days were spent in Jillmarie's car on some gravel road around Williston or sadly, dragging main. Yes, driving around was the thing to do.

Thus my itch to get out once in awhile and see some sky through the passenger window. Thankfully last Saturday, Greg took Eli and I on a drive to a small town and we had an early supper (only ones in the sub shop) and a little walk around. Then we came home. We were probably gone three hours but it was exactly what I needed.


Pretty cool clock on the Newberry Opera House plus brick road:


He is a South Carolina boy after all! (this is the SC flag for you non-southerners):


Also, the funny moment of the day was when we decided to get some ice cream for dessert. The man was explaining the different flavors: "Sherbet, Chocolate, and here's a seasonal one" as he pointed to the pink one with the sign "Peppermint Candy Cane." That really should have been our first clue. We preceded to buy some Butter Pecan. I had one bite and knew that stuff had probably been in the case for a few too many months. Old sugar = so not tasty. We should have realized it's mid-March and their seasonal ice cream did not involve St.Patricks Day or Easter. They obviously don't go through a lot of ice cream. Lesson learned.


Yesterday Eli and I joined some friends at our local zoo. I had to share this photo of how CUTE he looks in these short overalls. And his "these flamingos smell funny" look:


I did learn that Eli is so much like his Dad (and me)  in that he is NOT a fan of the sun and being hot. He was just crabby in the stroller as we walked around the different animal exhibits. However when we took a break in the cool shade, he was happy as can be. Then mad again when we went back in the sun. And yes, he had a hat and sunscreen on. 

I told Greg over the phone "I forsee many family vacations to cold destinations, not the beach" and he replied "We can go to the beach, we'll just spend all our time in the hotel room."  Ah, yes, the perfect vacation for a family of red-heads.

-Heather

PS- Welcome to South Carolina, Sprummer. I know that it's Spring because there is a nasty yellow dust on everything, my car especially. And my nose is so congested. But I know that it's Summer because it's crazy hot and I'm dreaming of a pool. So I guess I'll just say Sprummer is here in full force. 

No comments: