Tuesday, March 6, 2012

PPC.

I believe I would be a stellar addition to Angela's Party Planning Committee. Really. I love to plan parties. I love details. I love coordinating. I love celebrating. I love themes. I love, love to plan. I used to get paid to plan events. Indeed, I am a good planner.

So of course I had no idea two years ago that I wouldn't be getting to plan my daughter's birthday parties. I distinctly remember a time after she died when I realized there would be no parties for her. Not long after I was at Old Navy and they had party supplies on clearance and I bought a bunch of lanterns and napkins and plates... a sort of retail therapy.

Last year that first week of April was rough. No fun pink and brown cupcake party was to be had (though we did eat cupcakes!). The same will go for this year. Our girl will not be entering her terrible twos with a fun party. And on top of the mom in me, the party planner is just plain disappointed.

Granted, little kiddos don't need extravagant parties. They won't remember them! It's a bunch of hullabaloo for the parents, really. But because I so badly wanted to plan Maelee's parties for years to come and I didn't get to... well, her brother is going to have a way over-the-top first birthday party.

I started planning last month when I was working on Maelee's album. I found that after a night of going through photos, I was worn out. Grieving is exhausting and depressing. So I would "treat" myself to planning Eli's birthday party the next night. I started buying a few supplies at craft stores when I had coupons. And Pinterest is full of ideas. Full. I didn't need any help with theme or colors, however, I've had that set since last summer!

Don't worry, I'm keeping it small. But it will be way too detailed. I'm just thrilled to be celebrating a whole year with our boy come the end of April. Getting to do this is makes the planner in me giddy... and silly as this seems, it's a bit like healing balm to my soul.

-Heather


Maelee, sweet daughter of ours, we wish you we here starting your last month before turning 2 and loving on your little bro.


No comments: