Friday, September 7, 2012

Lake Beaches.

Lake beaches are far better than ocean beaches.

I just heard someone gasp. I know I heard someone say "Amen." And if I had to guess/stereotype, the first is a southerner and the latter, a northerner. Well, a northerner that says Amen out load, if those exist.

I grew up a flat-lander and about as far from the ocean as you can get in the US. It makes sense that I enjoy what I am used to.

Saltwater isn't enjoyable for me. And the majority of that is because 1. I'm short and 2. I'm not a great swimmer. Translate: the water always gets into my eyes/contacts and it stings plus it gets into my mouth and it's gross.

Lake water is much nicer because there is no saltiness. Sometimes there is gross algaeness though so you pick your lakes wisely.

Now up in ND/MN, the lakes are nice and cold. Down here, the first time we went to one it felt like bath water. Not refreshing. We went in the heat of summer, however, so we gave it another try when we went sailing two years ago. Much better.

And today Eli and I went to Lake Murray public beach. It's not even 20 minutes from our house. Water was great. Eli loved it, up until he got so tired he didn't know up from down. We were only there maybe two hours and I can tell my back in sunburned. I applied sunscreen on Eli three times (once before we left the house because you are supposed to apply sunscreen 30 minutes before being in the sun... things us red-heads need to know). I hope he doesn't have his first sunburn. I'd like to delay that inevitable as long as possible.

Ball at beach.
Yes, this happened.
Too bad Daddy is at work.
I go back and forth... sometimes this get-up is cute, other times dorky. Both?
Really, a great way to spend a Friday.

We had to have fun today because the last few weeks and upcoming few weeks are hard not being in North Dakota with family. My whole family was together over my dad's birthday. They went fishing in Canada and farming with my uncle. And today Greg's whole family are together for the first time in almost three years with the China crew's arrival. This weekend they are celebrating Marian and Lilliana's birthdays. Our sweet nieces are FIVE (M on the 26th, Lilli today!). Ya'll, it is hard to not get to watch your nieces and nephews grow in person.

Be expecting more beach photos, this mama enjoyed our lake beach and plans to visit more often!

-Heather

No comments: