Sunday, September 23, 2012

Apple Picking.

Growing up we had a crab apple tree. Every other year it had a butt-load of tart, tiny apples. Excellent pies and crisps and other desserts but usually not awesome off-the-tree goodness.

Yesterday I learned that if there were a competition in my soul of North vs South, the South would win in apple growing/picking category.

We spontaneously went apple picking yesterday. We drove to the mountains for a few hours. We were heading to a yummy bakery and were gladly sidetracked by the you-pick apple place. The orchard is huge. There were a ton of people there. Granted many were standing in a line as long as a football field to get apple cider doughnuts... which we did not get this time (oh man did they smell good).

They have probably 10-15 different types of apples growing on acres and acres of land tucked on one of the first mountains you hit shortly after you enter North Carolina from I-26.

Do you see him in there?
I was determined to find one I could reach that was good enough to pick...thankfully they had short trees full too!
At one point, Eli face planted into the ground. It was hard walking on a mountain with apples all over the ground to trip you up.
Apple Orchard + Mountains = Family Photo Op!
So peaceful!
I also learned that I don't ever want to go picking without Greg. His tallness and abnormally long arms are prime for picking! He did get stung once by a hornet so it wasn't without its pain.

We (mostly Greg) picked almost a 1/2 bushel of apples (whatever that is) and it cost $14. Here's most of our loot (minus the few we've eaten):


Ya'll should be glad I don't have a smart phone and Instagram. Seriously. There would be so many apple photos this week.


-Heather

Happy 2nd Birthday Ava Maelee Linn!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

jealous once again..
and reading"butt load" made me laugh my head off!!!