Sunday, September 16, 2012

Snow Gear.

As a native North Dakotan, I sometimes can't believe our son has a South Carolina birth certificate. He's a southerner! Most of the time I am just fine with that, it's part of his story no matter if we are here two years or twenty. I'm sure as he gets older certain cultural things will define him. I can just imagine if, say, he went to day care, how thick his little accent would be!

"Eli is a South Carolinian" was made hilariously obvious to us this week after a little coat and boots incident. With two trips planned to the north in upcoming months, I felt it wise to buy a winter jacket and snow boots for Eli. Being the savvy shopper I am, I found them for super cheap at a consignment sale ($4 jacket, $2 boots). I did want to try them on Eli when I got home just to see, hoping them to be slightly big.

I got the gear on and tried to get Eli to stand up so I could step back and take a look. But Eli just wouldn't stand. Then Greg was there helping as we realized he couldn't stand up. He fell over in a lump. It was too heavy, this winter gear. He didn't know how to function with this extra weight. And my-oh-my was it funny. I know parents aren't supposed to laugh at their children this much but we couldn't help it.

And yes, my camera was near and I remembered to document both the slug that was our child and the parent laughing:


He doesn't even have snow pants on!
I do recall the dread of putting on the marshmellow jacket, snow pants, hat, mittens, scarf, and boots each day. Multiple times (to school, recess if it wasn't too cold, back home). And those poor teachers that had to help dress us and probably just wished we'd get the heck out of there so they could have some peace. Plus not yelling at the kid that has to go pee once he is finally ready. Peal off the layers. Repeat. Except this time the snow pants are wet from thawing out on the coat rack and now you have to sort of squeeze a kid in there, tell them to suck it in and hope for the best.

Whew. So many winter gear memories. I suppose that's what I get for growing up in North Dakota, where the winter is never too far. Perhaps kids now don't walk home and therefore, do not need the arsenal of winter gear that we once had. Yes, I walked to and from my elementary school (thankfully only a few blocks away). Walking in two feet of snow up hill both ways. Ha. Dad joke came full circle.

Well, here's to hoping Eli figures out how to maneuver in snow gear soon.

-Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! My kids have done the same thing! :P
-Chris I

Laurel said...

hahaha! Even the Northern babies have that trouble the first time or so... never fear Eli, it'll get better!