Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15.

This is our third National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day. We'll light a candle tonight at 7pm. All around the world people are lighting candles (at 7pm in their respective time zones) in honor of their babies that are not on earth with them. If you let it go for an hour, it's a continual 'wave of light' across the world for a day. I'm not really into candles (or waves) but I suppose I am today!

I took a few photos of Eli with Maelee Bear this morning. This is my favorite. He will sometimes run and grab M's Bear and give it to me... he fully expects me to stop whatever I'm doing and hug it because that's what I did the first time he handed me M's Bear. It's quite fitting, really. 


Yesterday I spoke briefly at church about this day. I had asked awhile back that our church say something about this day, about remembering our children in heaven no matter how or when they lost a child, about the fact we do not grieve without hope. Thankfully I didn't lose it except the one time I looked at my friend who had a miscarriage recently... it was hard to keep focused on speaking. But it was good, I had a few older women come up to me that had losses years ago and they were glad for this time of remembering.

I used some money my dad gave to me to honor Maelee to buy this gorgeous bouquet and invited families to come up after the service and grab a flower if they had lost a child. Yellow roses are the symbol of baby loss, I guess, so we went with that theme/color. It's nice to see beauty in the midst of pain.


Join us in lighting a candle tonight if you'd like. And I think it goes without saying, please remember Maelee. We miss our sweet girl.

-Heather

1 comment:

Katie said...

thinking of maelee, your ectopic baby (forgive me, i never asked his/her name), levi, and judah today, wondering what THEY are up to as we light candles down here on earth. i picture them running to sit on the knees of Jesus and asking him to comfort their parents who have yet to come Home. perhaps they are all friends, running around holding hands. what a great idea to make people aware at church and give those who have lost babies in the congregation a chance to stop and honor the memory of their babies.