Monday, January 14, 2013

Ouch.

I have been forcing Eli to be compassionate, to feel sorry for when he hurts others (or at least have some sort of repercussion for his actions). This is mainly a result of me getting smacked in the face with a hard ball, accidentally bitten, and whacked in the back with a recorder... all within a five minute span of time. Boys.

So I've been trying to teach him to say or sign "I'm sorry" so he knows he physically hurt me. I didn't know if it was clicking in his little head (it didn't seem to be). But tonight, he threw this wooden whistle at Greg's head. Then Greg saw this look on Eli's face like he knew he did something wrong. I came into the room and told him a few times "Say you are sorry to your Dad." It took a bit of internal processing, but then Eli went over to Greg laying on the floor and he lovingly patted him on the shoulder a few times.

It was just the sweetest thing. Greg said it made his day (and plumb forgot about the whistle-at-head thing).

We don't know if his heart had any real change, any real remorse for his ways. At this age, I have to find the balance at correcting his behavior, understanding his development, caring about his soul, and just not going insane. But tonight was a little glimmer of hope that yes, someday Eli will understand he cannot throw toys at my face all day!

-Heather

No comments: