Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Her First Christmas.

Annalee's first Christmas has been an interesting one.

Christmas Eve day we left Buffalo with high hopes of driving to "the cities" (which to all of ND/MN that means the suburbs and all of Minneapolis/St.Paul) to my sisters/parents. I realized a few exits down that I left Annalee's milk in G&G's fridge so we had to drive back to Buffalo for that. And that extra half hour may have really set us back.

The roads were fine but became worse quick as it got darker. And within a half hour I went from thinking we'll make it just fine to calling to see if there were rooms at a hotel. If it would have just been Greg and I, we would have kept going. But with the kids, it wasn't worth it. Annalee was screaming ready to eat and Eli was antsy...the thought of another few hours with them plus the unknown road conditions made it a smart choice. 

Christmas Eve in a hotel felt odd but we had a fun few hours. No close food place was open so we bought pizza from the hotel and I had hot chocolate and a candy cane. We found one swim diaper and Eli trunks in a bag in the van. Greg wore his basketball shorts and those two went swimming for hours. Annalee had an hour of wide awake "happy to be out of her car seat" time. Nothing was typical, traditional Christmas. BUT it was nice to be just us four together, no one else but us made the unexpected sort of sweet. 

We woke up, had good hotel breakfast and headed out. There were a handful of cars in the ditch which made me glad we stayed. The road was a bit icy today but not too bad/stressful. We missed the big, delicious family breakfast that is always with my BIL's family so Greg and I had leftovers for lunch. Then my sister took my dad into the hospital (more on that later).

So our little girl will have quite the story for her first Christmas... but the very first Christmas was abnormal and bizarre so we rest in that.

Joy to the world, The Lord has come!
-Heather

No comments: