Thursday, February 20, 2014

ND Beats NYC.

North Dakota is a crazy place right now. My hometown has higher rent than New York City.

Don't believe me?
Or check out the map on this link.

That's pure craziness. If only I would have bought some dumpy old houses when I was in high school with my earnings as a delivery girl for B & B Super Drug. Though I'm pretty sure real estate was the farthest thing from my mind in high school.

Even in Bismarck, where our little family is hoping to find a home, it's a hopping market. Houses are on the market for such a short time, some good ones just for hours. Here's a good example of the current market: Tonight I was checking out a basic four bedroom house that sold for $169,900 in 2007. It's being sold for $287,900 today, not seven years later. I've seen loads of homes selling for around 100K more than they sold for just a few years ago. Of course I do think "if only"  we would have bought a house here in 2007 instead of in Columbia... we could be in a much better place financially. But with a much less cultured worldview. I mean, we wouldn't have any idea what collared greens are!

-Heather

No comments: