Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Little Man's Fabric.

Back in September I first realized if we get to bring this baby home, he could actually be a boy (gasp!) and then we would need to change Maelee's room. Both Greg and I love Maelee's room. We leave the door open. Usually the sun is shining through the window which emits a lovely pink glow. For not loving pink two years ago, I love this pink and brown room.

So this room change is sort of a big deal. Yet we are grateful for what that means.

If you know me, you know I'm sort of a color snob. I remember things in colors, I am way partial to certain colors, I feel life makes more sense when things are color coordinated. There is just something calming about a Real Simple-approved color scheme.

That said, when I realized baby could be a boy, my first thought was to do a deep navy with just a bit of a deep orange accent (think Chicago Bears without any logos!). I don't like baby blue, so that was not going to be an option!

All I needed to do was find fabric to fit my ideal. I finally was able to start shopping last month. I looked at every fabric in Hancock and didn't find one that would work. I went online but it was hard not to actually see and touch the fabric before buying. Then I went to Joann's Fabrics and looked at every fabric and found ONE.

But the lesson here is you only need one! The decision has been made, I got it for super cheap, and we are now ready for Grammy to come on March 15th to do her sewing magic and for Grandpa Lloyd to do his painting magic.

Here it is!

With the first thing I bought this baby back in September, brown shoes!

Up close

With the gray wall and the brown crib.

Grammy will use the fabric to create just the crib skirt, basket covers, part of the curtains, accent pillow... but it's what will bring it all together.

The background is gray, like the majority of the walls. I believe my dad will paint over the pink in the walls with the navy, keep the brown stripe and add a small orange stripe. So the main colors are navy, brown, gray with a deep orange accent (like I had envisioned in Sept). The deep blue in the fabric is perfect. I was not anticipating having green or yellow in the room but since it will only be in bits of the fabric, it won't take over the room.

And leaves! I am a leaf fan. Our wedding had leaves, our bedroom has leaves, etc... so the fact that the pattern is leaves fits us. And I'm almost certain our boy could care less about his room decor, so leaves it is.

It's a big step to have this decision made. And now my project is to find good navy crib sheets and a navy changing pad cover!

I look forward to posting the photos of the room transformation come late March... but more importantly, I greatly look forward to seeing our little man living in his cute room.

-Heather

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Love the fabric! Love the picture with his cute little brown shoes! And I absolutely LOVE Maelee's room! When Margo wears pink and brown (like she did today) I think of Maelee - HA! :) I am sure it will be hard to change her room but we are thankful that you have a great reason to change it and looking forward to hearing more of God's faithfulness to you all. We keep you all in our prayers and I think of you often Heather!
Love, Ashley

Ausmerican Housewife - Creating with Kara Davies said...

Oh my, VERY CUTE Heather!

Can't wait to see what little man's finished room looks like.

Enjoy your nexting with the grandparents!

Let Love Grow said...

You have amazing taste Heather... i love your style :-) Just love it!

Anonymous said...

I love the fabric!! Can't wait to see the finished room. I so miss my college roomie decorator!! You lIttle man is going to love it.

-Chris I

Souza Family of 4 said...

All I need now is his name... ;)

Mike, Cindy, Luke and Anna Elizabeth said...

I love it!