Friday, March 11, 2011

Good-Bye Grumpa.

In God's grace, my Grandpa Raymond Zander died last night with my mom and my two aunts at his side. He waved good-bye to them. He was ready. I can only speculate the moments after he took his last breath... I can only be envious of the Glory that awaited him.

I am grateful that he is now whole and experiencing complete peace in place where there is no more pain, sorrow or loss.

I am grateful that yesterday my dear Aunt Ruth was able to read my Grandpa a sort of good-bye letter from me. And that he knew I loved him.

I am grateful that he knew that he was going to get to meet his great-granddaughter, our daughter Maelee, and he was looking forward to it.

I am grateful he was born waaay back in 1919 and lived a long, content life on earth.

I am grateful because of his life, his marriage to Doris Mae, the birth of their daughter Sherry Linn, her marriage to Lloyd Milton, and my birth... makes me a part of his legacy.

I am grateful that we can celebrate his life knowing he was at peace with the Lord and that since I know Jesus, I'll get to see him again.

I am grateful for all the memories and all the things that remind me of my Grandpa Ray including:

  • We called him Grumpa. Not sure which one of my older, smarter cousins started it, but it stuck.
  • Growing up I thought he was the best bowler in all of Dickinson. I remember getting to go bowling with him, walking into the local bowling alley and thinking smugly "my grandpa is the best bowler in this place."
  • I always thought he loved raisins and carried them in a pouch in his shirt pocket. It was actually some sort of tobacco... but I never realized that 'til I was much older.
  • I made my grandparents a key chain in my crafty grade-school days. It was leather with beads. Back when I stopped by to see them Christmas 2008, he showed me that he still had it, still used it. I'll always remember that simple act of love towards me.
  • Since my Grandpa Tysse died in 1983, when I was only one year old, my Grandpa Ray was THE Grandpa. He did a great job at it, too.
  • It's the ham. Inside family thing.
  • My Grandpa would always mute the commercials when we were watching TV. I HATED that growing up. It just nagged at me. A few years ago, I noticed how annoyed I got when the commercials came on. Now I mute pretty much all the commercials when the TV is on and I laugh at how right on Grumpa was!
  • Staying at my grandparents house was always a fun experience. What treasures could we find in the basement!? What deliciousness would Grandma make!? What crazy backyard thing would Grandpa have!? How many pieces of round sausage and how many tiny glasses of OJ could we consume!? Why did they have such a weird fireplace!? How high could we climb in the big tree!?
  • Due to Alzheimers, my Grandma was fading very fast in 2005 when we got married. Thankfully, they were still able to make the trip to our wedding across the state. We knew it would probably be the last time they would be making a trip like that. So when planning the music for our wedding dance, polkas were on top of the list. And what sweet, sweet memories of those two dominating the dance floor. They had some mad polka skills!
  • My Grandpa sure liked a nice, newer, clean, beige car. Good thing he kept the same wife and just traded in cars every few years! And good thing Uncle Don was always there to make 'em shiny! Seriously though, he really liked a nice, beige 4-door. And especially one without wind noise.
  • Almost exactly a year ago, Grandpa realized (with some urging from his daughters) that he was getting too old to be driving his beige '07 Toyota Camry around. And we were in a market for a car with our girl on the way. My aunt drove the car from Dickinson to my sister's, Greg flew up to MN and drove the car back down to SC... and wha-lah, we got a great deal on a basically new car that has great sentimental value! We've always called the car Gramps. I think that would make Grumpa happy. We do not keep it as shiny as he did however, so that would probably not make him happy!
  • Since my three girl cousins and sister were close in age and 5 years plus older than me, and because the two boy cousins didn't come along for quite a few years after me, I always felt special. I was the only one near my age. I was special and unique. And I think Grandpa treated me that way.
Grandpa in 1929; 10 years old
July 11, 1948 with my Grandma, Aunt Bonnie and my mom
He's smiling at me and my cute nakedness:)
Me and Grumpa snoozing on the couch.
Grandma and Grandpa Zander with my sister and I, sporting sweet duds.
At our wedding in 2005.
I love how you can see them sharing a moment together. Precious.

Thanks for the prayers for my family. I'm not sure the plans but because of me being in the third trimester and wary of leaving my doctor's vicinity, I won't be flying up for the funeral. I'll do my best to celebrate Grumpa from afar.

-Heather

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great memories of your Grumpa! They are great treasures to have. Praise he is with our Lord, and someday I will meet this godly man!
Praying for you and your family!
-Chris I

Anonymous said...

Wish you were coming with me to Dickinson. Take care of yourself - Love the memories! Am

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. I love the pictures.
Love ya,
Tisha

Anonymous said...

I just loved this blog - Heather, you are such a good writer :-)

- Dawn Rae