Thursday, March 10, 2011

Peace in Dying.

Death is never convenient. Death is never easy. These are truths that I am learning. My sweet Grandpa is dying. We don’t know when his last day on earth will be, only the Lord knows the number of our days, but it is probably soon. He’s lived a long life. He’s ready to go home. He’ll get to meet his great-granddaughter. How amazing is that?

Death can be a very scary thing, even when it’s someone who is in his nineties and ready. But when you are a believer, as in you believe that Jesus is who he said he is, then that fear is overtaken with peace. Peace because we know that it’s not about being a “good person” or being at least a better person than the Joe Schmoe down the street (Oh that we would stop comparing our sin and self-righteousness to others and compare ourselves with the Holy God… and know that we can never, ever be “good enough” without Jesus).

Peace because we can finally accept that we are not, indeed, in control of our lives, even if we think we are. Peace because there is something greater than ourselves. Peace because Jesus still loves us and helps us in our unbelief. Peace because it’s not up to us. Peace because we can be certain God is still in control, even if our human understanding cannot grasp heaven and hell. Peace because Jesus paid the penalty for all our pathetic, crappy, human sin so that we can spend eternity in his lavish grace. Yes, peace in your heart and mind and deep in your nagging soul… even on your deathbed (but how much more wonderful to have that in the here and now!).

I am grateful my grandpa Ray is at peace in his soul and is ready to go home to Jesus. That makes it easier on us.

My parents were supposed to be coming to SC next Tuesday for a week but they have postponed the trip. And that’s okay. Like I said, death is never convenient. Hopefully they will get to come at some point and help us get the little man’s room ready… but if it doesn’t happen, that’s okay, too. We sort of love that pink room and don’t mind the extra time with it. And babies don’t see colors very well the first few months anyway!

It’s all about perspective, folks. Even when you are “nesting.”

Pray for my family, especially my mom and aunts, as they grieve saying good-bye and deal with the details involved. Pray for me as I won't be able to fly up and be with everyone. Pray for my Grandma who is in such late stages of Alzheimer’s she has no idea the love of her life is leaving earth for good. And pray for my Grandpa to continue to have peace and anticipate the glory that he’ll be meeting soon.

-Heather

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dearest Heather...how beautifully worded. Peace...that surpasses all understanding. Grandpa knew that Jesus died for him. Although the process of dying is still uncertain, he knows where he is going. May Grandpas death bring us all closer to our Heavenly Father as we trust in His unfailing love and grace. Thank you for sharing this and I am praying for you as you say goodbye to Grandpa. Much love...Aunt Ruth

Janna Schill said...

My thoughts are with you and your family during the journey of your Grandpa.

Ausmerican Housewife - Creating with Kara Davies said...

I bet you dollars to doughnuts, your first little one and Maelee are waiting and ready to meet their great grampa with HUGE tackling bear hugs when he comes Home.

My kids got to meet my grampa before I ever did! He died 6 weeks after my folks got married. I was born 6 years later.

TheSpeights said...

I'm praying very hard for you and your family. I've lost the most fantastic PaPa in the world and it's hard to think he's not with us anymore. What puts a smile on my face is to know that he no longer struggles to breath, has heart problems or even has to wear those pesky glasses anymore. He is singing praises to our Lord and how awesome is that! It's got to give some comfort that Maelee will have more family to hug her and sing with her. My heart breaks for you guys and I'm always here for a prayer, hug or just a person to chat with. Love you four.

Jill K said...

Precious words, beautifully written Heather.

And yes, your little champ will be just fine if he starts off in his big sister's pink room... it would kind of be a sweet part of the his story and Maelee's and Grandpa's altogether.

Much love to you-