Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Party People.

I remember a time when I said "April 18th" all the time. I remember when it was a date full of dreams and wonder and excitement. When people asked me my due date, I'd say "April 18th" with a big 'ol smile on my face. Of course I realized that most babies are not born on their exact due dates, but I still thought Maelee's due date was a just great date because my birthday is June 18th and it fit, ya know? Now this date sort of encompasses the unfulfilled dreams we had for the pregnancy with her...

One of those unfulfilled dreams was her parties. Her first birthday, which would have been spectacular and girly right down to the pink and brown polka dots, to tea parties to her first sleepover to her graduation... really the parties would have been so fun! I think she would have like to have her friends over for fun and games. I see her as sweetly social, not over the top but not introverted. We don't know what her personality would have been like, so I can only dream... and of course she's always going to be close to perfect in our minds.

It makes sense, in my head at least, that because I don't get to plan parties for Maelee, that I'm going to go ALL OUT for Eli's first birthday. Just this once I want to go bananas. I'll tame it down for future parties (at least I promised Greg that much) but we are going to celebrate on Saturday the fact our boy, our sweet, adorable, living boy has made it a year (okay 359 days, we are partying early). There will be way too many photos and banners and little elephants. Way.Over.The.Top. We must remember I used to be an event planner in my former life.

Our house is small so it's only Eli's close friends (otherwise I would have invited everyone, like you and your cousin and your cousin's dog) and his family is too far to come (thankfully he'll get to party with relatives soon!). I just checked the weather and it's probably going to be cloudy and rainy (good thing I planned a porch activity and inside craft!). But it's all going to be legendary. Now I realize Eli's not going to remember his first birthday party. But I will. I will treasure the fact we had one, really themed-up party.

Theme, you ask? Blue, Orange, and Elephants of course! Don't worry, I'll take a ridiculous amount of photos to share of all the little details. Now, I must go and try accomplish the long list of Pinteresty crafts for a special someone's party.

-Heather

1 comment:

Ausmerican Housewife - Creating with Kara Davies said...

I went all out for Evan's first birthday too.

I think you should go all out for baby's first birthday. It's a momentous occasion, they've lived their first year on the outside! Why shouldn't it be a huge party? I can see doing a big party for 16, 18 or 21 but between then, simple ones.