Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Correlation.

I have found in the last weeks there is a direct correlation to Eli's sleeping/eating behavior and my own productivity and general outlook on life...

But wait! I have said before how I very much do not want my life to revolve around my kids. I want balance, perspective.

Oh but we are finding this to be a bit difficult. First off, he's a miracle. Hard to focus elsewhere when you have a little miracle around you. Secondly, he's adorable. Third, he's fairly consuming at this point in his newborn life.

Sometime last week our little guy started on a crazy every-two-hour-if-not-more feeding schedule. He rarely made it more than two hours from the start of one feeding to another. It wouldn't be so hard if he slept in between... but often getting the poop/gas out prevented him from a nice, deep sleep. Poor 'lil guy!

As a result, I didn't get anything accomplished over the weekend. Nada. My list is long, of course, but alas, nothing was crossed off. Brushing my teeth was an accomplishment. Good thing Greg was around else I would have looked like.... well, let's not go there. Still functioning, still thankful to be in this state... but just not able to do anything else but be Eli's mom (and food source).

My family will understand the extent of my sleeplessness when I say: I didn't take a single photo of Eli for three days.

All that to say... I'm really banking on the last days being a growth spurt in our little man. ?!?! That's reasonable, right?!?!

I'm hoping that's the case. Last night our boy slept for FOUR hours in one stretch... then another THREE hours! Ah, sweet, sweet sleep. I am hoping to get at least a line or two crossed off my list and maybe even venture outside (if I can handle the heat). And I will keep trying, asking for a life lived with the right perspective.

And of course, I'll take some photos. Here's a few from yesterday... I think you can agree Eli is filling out.

Blue eyes!

I think he got my large tongue.

I have a few rolls now!

Notice the pee on the couch. We went through quite a few outfits yesterday...

-Heather

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, he really has filled out! Love the pictures. I could just stare into his eyes for hours, but I don't think he'd keep them open that long. You've made a demanding aunt very happy. Thank you.
Love you, sister!
- Amy B

Anonymous said...

This aunt too! See you on Thursday!!!!! Am

Anonymous said...

Grandma and Grandpa agree he is absolutely filling out. Still has those long legs of his Daddy though. Wish we were there to help with the holding/burping/changing schedule. Oh...and I wouldn't mind throwing in a couple loads of Eli clothes. We do miss and love you so much.
G&G K

TheSpeights said...

I want to tell you that I feel like I could have written almost this same post when Ella was a baby. I would get ready to fall in the bed and realize I hadn't brushed my teeth yet. I was lucky if I made it out of my pajamas. I believe at one point I had been in my pjs for a solid 72 hours before I realized I hadn't had a shower yet.

I struggled big time with being the food source for Ella. I felt like I couldn't even wash dishes or take out trash without her crying for more food. I remember wanting to take a walk when Adam got home from work and being completely overwhelmed when Ella got hungry just as I hit the door to leave. Once Adam was able to do a night feeding with a bottle, I started to feel better, but it's HARD! It's a blessing, but no one ever said blessings are easy. That's for sure!

Eli is absolutely HANDSOME! I can't believe how fast he's growing! Take as many pictures as you can when you can. It's hard to remember them at this age when they are jumping around like Ella does now. I stare at her baby pictures all the time trying to remember those days better. I gotta say Eli is looking more and more like Greg! He's little G! (or should I say "g") ha ha ha!

Try not to worry so much about the dishes, the beds being made, the trash getting taken out..... Eli needs his parents to do almost everything. It's perfectly acceptable to get nothing done on your list (even brushing your teeth on some days). Adam is almost done with volleyball and when he is, I'd love to come over and help you do whatever I can!

You are doing GREAT! Eli is perfect in every way. God is good. Love you four!

-Court

AshleyM said...

LOVE these photos!! he is a total gem! oh man...his blue eyes...red hair...he's so handsome!