Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Blueberry.

This morning was a beautiful oh-so-glad-to-be-alive sort of morning. It felt like a ND summer. Sunny but cool with a perfect breeze. That doesn't happen too often here in June. On the suggestion of a friend, we skipped our weekly story time for some blueberry pickin'!

Now those of you that have never had a blueberry not from the supermarket... you have no idea what blueberries taste like. I honestly didn't think I really liked blueberries until a friend gave me a bag of them she had picked. I ate the whole bag. They taste so, so much better than anything I had ever had.


Eli is sampling our bounty (which isn't even all of it). I picked over six pounds of blueberries... and at $1.25/pound, only $7.30 worth. That doesn't even count all the ones we ate as we picked. Don't worry, they don't spray bad stuff on them so they are edible right off the bush. So, so good and way cheaper than buying that tiny little half-pint for $4.

And yes, Eli has a scratch/owie/booboo on his face. From his mama. I was about to pick him up, he looked, my thumb nail gouged his face... not pretty. Glad he still loves me.

Now on to finding a place to pick a peach off a tree... which I really want to do in my lifetime. And living in the state that produces more peaches than Georgia, well,  there is no better time than the present. Except I have to find some place that will actually let me come pick a peach legitimately, not just sell me one at their stand.

-Heather

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mcbee for peaches. above camden.

You can freeze your blueberries if you don't wash them first and then have tasty ones in the winter.

JulieMae

Anonymous said...

Lilli and I just made the most delicious blueberry pies. I even found an adorable kids pie set so she could make her own. I look forward to the day when I can do one with Eli. Wouldn't you and Greg appreciate a young man who could make you desserts? And wow do those look yummy!

Grandma K

Rebekah said...

I am seriously considering moving in next door to you. I love blueberries! I am so jealous. But hey, I can pay 3.99 for a pint of not quite ripe or moldy ones...