Monday, June 4, 2012

Chicken.

Chicken is to the South what beef is to the Midwest.

This was my epiphany today. As a resident of South Carolina for five years, I can say with confidence that they know what they are doing with a chicken. I don't think they have anything on the cows of the Midwest but they sure got good chick'un. They have loads of chicken farms around so I guess chickens like it hot and humid. I am sure glad, however, that we live in the city and not in a rural area downwind from a chicken farm.

From our house in less than one measly mile you can find FOUR fast food places dedicated solely to chicken: Bojangles, KFC, Church's and Chick-fil-A. This doesn't account for the three other places that may not be only chicken places but you can still get yourself some fried chicken. That's a lot of chicken in a very close proximity. Growing up, all I ever knew of fried chicken was KFC. I didn't know there were other chicken chains... I had so much to learn.

Everyone's got their favorites, I suppose, but if we are heading out for a fast food chicken meal (which isn't too often) we would choose either Chick-fil-A or Zaxby's. If you aren't from around here and find yourself in the South needing a quick meal, choose one of these.

Chick-fil-A is the best fast-food place ever. It really is the best. Now KFC is alright, but they didn't invent the chicken sandwich. Their waffle fries just make me happy (my love of fries deserves it's own post).

And a little over a mile from our house in different directions are two Zaxby's restaurants (they are a little nicer chicken place). It is one of Greg's favorite restaurants, complete with their own unique dipping sauce that I didn't like at first but now can't eat there without. Definitely worth trying out if you have never been.


I just typed this and not surprisingly, I am in the mood for chicken.

Too bad there isn't an event going on that we have to go to... because there is always fried chicken at events. I love our church's get-togethers because I'm always guaranteed a good piece of chicken.

-Heather

PS - I did not talk about sit-down chicken places because I have not frequented them enough to have an opinion. I am certain, however, that you can find the best fried chicken in the world somewhere down here. And it just may be in my neighbor's mother's aunt's house. I can almost taste it.

2 comments:

Ausmerican Housewife - Creating with Kara Davies said...

Mmmm, chick-fil-a!

Anonymous said...

Did you know there is now a chic fil a in the Minneapolis airport!? C concourse!
- Chris I