Sunday, January 1, 2012

Brown Christmas.

We are back home in South Carolina.

It feels nice to unpack and be home.

I'd like to talk about weather. 

I was really hoping for snow. Actually I wasn't even hoping, I was just assuming. I assumed there would be snow at Christmastime in Minnesota. That's completely normal. Last year it looked like this: 


That picture is a tree chopping truck that got stuck and blocked the road to my sister's in-laws house. Yeah, there was a lot of snow. And it was fun.

This year...well, this year there was NO snow. Not even leftover snow from a previous snowfall. I have no photo because who takes photos of brown grass? I saw one little patch of snow by some trees. That's it.

Until last night, or really this morning, in the wee beginning hours of 2012, some snow and ice finally came. We really only got to experience it from the walk from the house to the truck at 6:30 a.m. as we headed out to the airport. So 2011 will be the year of no-snow Christmas. Darn.

Normally no big deal. But it was Eli's first Christmas. And Christmas = snow (don't worry, I know Christmas really equals Jesus). That warm "cozy up by the fire while you look outside on a winter wonderland on Christmas Eve" experience! Besides I had his cute snowsuit ready to be worn! And the photos? Oh they would have been so cute! I guess Eli will have to wait longer for his first snow experience!

The weather being so nice did have some perks. All our travels were uneventful. On our drive to Wisconsin, we actually saw a tumbleweed. TUMBLEWEED. Do you know those exist? They do. I wish I would have taken a photo of one. Flying over the road because it is SO WINDY. Seriously. Wind. Go to the Midwest if you want to really experience it. I almost forgot what wind was like. Eli's face was almost smashed in the car door a few times.

Good thing I got this cute hat for him to wear:


You can't really tell but it has ear flaps.


We arrived to a warm, sunny southern day in Charlotte this afternoon. After a quick trip to IKEA (nom nom meatballs), we headed home and arrived safely. It's been a eventful past few weeks and we are thankful for all the fun times with family and friends!

Many photos to follow!

Here's one with another Zander-side family member we saw briefly. Eli and his cousin cousin Alex! Great guy!


-Heather

No comments: