Friday, January 6, 2012

Last Days.

My Grandma is dying.

She was taken to the hospital yesterday and they are certain it is just a matter of time. She has lived with Alzheimer's for many years now and I think there will be a collective sigh when she leaves this earth. Death is always hard, even when it may just be the best thing. We find great peace in knowing she will be made whole soon, her mind will no longer be in the grips of disease. Soon perhaps she will be dancing in heaven... I'm not sure what amazingness awaits us in heaven, but maybe even a polka with Grandpa? You see, my Grandpa died just last March. So my mom and her three sisters will be losing both their parents within a year.

I sort of felt like Grandma would be around for awhile, even if she wasn't fully there and didn't remember anyone anymore, and there was an odd sense of peace in that. But I feel like there will be even more peace after she dies and goes home. Death, it always brings perspective on life, doesn't it? It helps us to know we are not invincible. We are not in control. Stuff doesn't really matter. Family will always be family. And knowing Jesus is the best thing this side of heaven. He's not just some flippant ticket to get there, or some genie that you call on when someone's dying, but he will comfort and guide and transform you even on those regular 'ol no-one-is-dying days, if you give him the chance.

I digress. So on top of our sickness that has kept Eli and I basically on the couch all week (and the Christmas tree still up and decorated, the porch still adorned with garland, laundry piled up, etc), I now add the fact that I'm in South Carolina and ridiculously too far away from my mama and my Grandma. I'm so sorry that I can't be there right now.


Cute couple, eh?

I just LOVE how she's smiling at Grandpa here! This is at our wedding in 2005. 

Grandma meeting my son, July 2011. 


-Heather

No comments: