Sunday, November 6, 2011

14-8.

Saturday was the annual North/South flag football game at the university Greg attends. This game used to be called Grits vs Cream of Wheat. Awesome. I will take cream of wheat any day over grits. Cream of wheat was created in Grand Forks, ND and I think it's delicious. To be fair, I don't think I've really had good grits yet. If there were enough bacon and cheese involved, I'm sure I would like them.

Back to the game. You can't get much North than North Dakota... naturally Greg has been on the North team each year. He's been practicing for a month. And he was pretty excited about the game. Me too. I love to watch him play sports. He's so darn athletic.


Our friends picked Eli up at the field and brought them to their nearby house to babysit while I stayed to watch Greg play and cheer for the North. There were only a handful of people on the North "side" so I had to do my part. I knew one fan and she asked me if I knew football, if I knew the basics of the game. I said "yes."

Amber, I heard you laughing all the way from MN. Stop.It.

She had a couple from Germany with her that had never been to an American football game before. And no one else around knew a darn thing about football or how to explain the game. The dude comes to sit next to me so that I can explain the game to him. All he knew was it was played on grass.

I may have just ruined American football for him.

Well, it couldn't have been that bad. I actually think I did a pretty good job. Way better than I could have done five years ago! I know what a safety is.

Greg actually played safety (come on, same name for a play and a position, geesh) for most of the game. They played a soft cover two. (This sentence was given verbatim by Greg). They did not get beat deep. They were not throwing the ball anywhere near Greg's long arms (I think they knew to stay away, like teams do for Devin Hester these days). Then the quarterback got injured so Greg went in as back-up.


He did great! He ran it some. The only other North Dakotan on the team caught a thirty-plus yard pass Greg threw. It was fun. Then on one of the last plays of the game, the other team tried to get the ball... and it ended up with Greg coming off the field with blood gushing from his right eyebrow. 

Ouch. He was wearing his glasses with a strap (he needed to see where he was throwing the ball!) and they got jammed. The sports medicine lady treated him and recommended he go get stitches. And the ER nurse (wife of initially injured quarterback) agreed. So Greg and I had our second "date" since Eli was born... going to the ER on a Saturday night!

Gratefully (oh so grateful), the ER was slow and we were in and out in a little over an hour. Greg got three stitches. The only painful part was the needle of numbing stuff. The doctor was glad Greg mentioned the LSU/Bama game... he promptly had me turn it on. I think he spent a little extra time sewing him up just so he could watch the end of the game. Greg also may have a scar because the doc was distracted. We'll see.


It wasn't an ideal end to the night. Especially because of the $225 co-pay. Yikes! But Greg wasn't/isn't in much pain and we are blessed to live in a country where he can get medical care at 11pm on a Saturday night.

And the North won. So worth it, according to Greg. Of course there was definitely a few times where we quoted Lethal Weapon "I'm too old for this...".

Tomorrow Greg will be sporting a lovely shiner and some stitches to work along with his khaki's. Nice eh?


-Heather (wife of this awesome guy, mommy to our rolly-polly boy, and mama-griever for 19 months today)

2 comments:

Ausmerican Housewife - Creating with Kara Davies said...

Nice battle scar Greg!

Oh yes, late night ER runs. I did one with Julia and one with Evan.

Jonathan said...

Haha! The last pic looks like some kinda crazy eye shadow!