Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Better Gift Ideas.

Need some ideas for Christmas gifts? Here are a few sites to try that are better-than-mainstream, fair trade, good-for-the-marketplace sites: 

Uncommon Goods
I posted this one on the kid's gifts list, too. Some crazy items. They have a post for Top Christmas Gifts 2011 with something for all ages... they even have a "gifts for ____ " search... I just did a search for man gifts: ridged glass guitar picks, beer making kits, scratch-off-where-you've-been map... really they have something for everyone.

Feed Project
Go to Feed Shop to buy a bag, t-shirt, accessory and at the same time, fight hunger and eliminate malnutrition. There are a plethora of bag options. "Help feed the children of the world" is one of their catch phrases. Who can't love that?

SERRV
Handmade with a story. I am drooling over this fair trade, handmade, non-profit site with such a host of lovely, unique and useful items.

Ten Thousand Villages
In that same craftish spirit, more delightful gifts with a conscious. They are online but they have stores, too. I went to one on our first anniversary in a little town in Canada. I know you could find something you would treasure: like this Tree of Life platter from the West Bank. Or this gorgeous gray scarf. So awesome.

Threads of Yunnan
I was on the SERRV site and stumbled across these beautiful ornaments from Threads of Yunnan... which made my heart do a little flip. I spent a summer in the Yunnan province of China in 2004 and I saw this facility, met some of the workers and bought a few of their items. Love, love, love.

Trade As One
I happened upon this site and just love this birdie tealight holder and this sweet crocheted nativity set. Another fair trade site, they say "your spending can connect you to a story of hope and dignity for the poor."


Other Ideas?

Charities
If you want to give to a charity but you are worried about where your money will actually go and would like some accountability, try the Better Business Bureau charity site, you can search for specific charities and even find ones that meet their high Charity Seal (stamp of approval) like Compassion.


Norwex
Shameless plug here, really. I, the picture-perfect unsalesman, sell this sweet environmentally friendly cleaning and personal care supplies. An Enviro Cloth, super great antibacterial microfiber, will transform cleaning. Get one for your mom. Your mom-in-law. You. Whatev. It's surprisingly worth it. Order from me online here or check out my old blog here... but you'll need me to explain how to use it to make it really worthwhile so contact me if so.

Amazon Prime
Give someone that is online savvy a year subscription to Amazon Prime where you get free 2 day shipping with no minimum order. We have a student trial for a year and it's so nice!  And addicting. And dangerous.

Magazine Subscriptions
This is always a go-to gift for the person that has everything. What woman wouldn't want Real Simple in their mailbox each month?

Gift Certificates
I know, I know. Boring. But get a little creative on the store for the certificate and you may just have a winner. Think Williams-Sonoma or a local restaurant.

Consumables
In my desire for less is more, I think consumables are a stellar gift. Anything you can use up sort of falls under this category, namely food. You can make them food (I do up a big 'ol batch of chex mix for our neighbors). And I'm all about the nifty gifty food basket. Or chippers. Oh, yes, folks, now we are talking! Chocolate-covered potato chips deserve to be on everyone's wish list.

I could keep going but I'm getting tired typing so I know you are getting tired reading! Go, gift something awesome this year! (Sidenote: my goal is to give at least one person something they didn't even know they needed/wanted until they open it).

Giving is so stinkin' fun.

-Heather

No comments: