Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Gift Ideas for Little Ones.

Do you have a little one to spoil? Here are a few suggestions I have for things to buy (sidenote: there are many wonderful ideas of crafty crap I could list here too, but I'll refrain.):

Green Toys
These toys are made in the US from recycled milk jugs! I love the texture and color of all the toys. Best part: there is no questionable chemical crap in them so kids can stick them in their mouths or eat right off them! This is especially awesome because Eli puts everything in his mouth these days. He has the stackers and dishware but I'm certain he'll be acquiring the dump truck or tool set or other boyish items soon (I'd buy every toy they made if I could).


Ali and Marian (nieces) have the tea set. I adore this set because you can actually use it for tea and crumpets! You can buy Green Toys on Amazon and a host of other places.

Best Kids Bible EVER
I love most everything about this Storybook Bible. If you have a kid and want them to read the Bible, this is a must have. The illustrations are amazing. Jesus isn't some cheesy white dude. It is ridiculously well written; I learn a lot when I'm reading it to Eli. It's read in Matt Chandler's house and our resident theologian (Greg) also approves. Here's a quote from the first chapter:

"No, the Bible isn't a book of rules, or a book of heroes. The Bible is most of all a Story. It's an adventure story about a young Hero who comes from a far country to win back his lost treasure....There are lots of stories in the Bible, but all the stories are telling one Big Story. The Story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them."

It's delightful. Buy it from their site or from Amazon or even Wal-mart. Eli's copy is actually his sister's, a gift from the China crew and one that is treasured and well-loved in our household.

Scripture Lullaby CD
Aunt Jill loves this music and they gave it to Eli. It really is spectacular music... so not cheesy and completely calming. Perfect for nap time. This would make an excellent baby gift... but I would listen to it when I need something mellow so it's not really only kid's music. And the graphics on their web site are awesome.

Band Set
Musical instruments are fun! We bought this music-in-a-box set for Ali for her first Christmas and she consistently played with it for years... which is why it's making this list. If a kid can get years out of a toy, that's a good purchase. Our friends bought the same Pum Pum Drum for Eli and I love the colors! So cool.


Here's to hoping Eli gets his dad's musical talent!

TOMS shoes
If you haven't heard of TOMS, they are a great company. For every pair of shoes purchased, they give a pair of new shoes to a child in need. Awesome. I don't have a pair (soon, perhaps) but we have many friends that do and swear by their comfort. They are pretty spendy but you can walk happy, knowing you (or your kids) just gave a pair of shoes to someone else! The kids shoes, Tiny Toms, are so stinkin adorable I can hardly stand it. Maybe Eli (and someone that needs it) will get a pair for his birthday.

Melissa and Doug products
They are wood and they are fun. I hear lots of good things about them and I like their sturdiness. I also bought a magnetic puzzle thing with Maelee's name on it so she can be remembered in toys, too.


IKEA
We just made a trip last Saturday. I love this store. If you have one near by, they have some fun gifts for kids... like a wooden easel, wooden tool bench, kids table/chairs, quirky bedding, felt food/tools/animals, stuffed animals (like the three smooshy cute elephants I was tempted to buy). Best part: their prices are great! And you can get Swedish meatballs when you go.

Uncommon Goods
I haven't ordered anything from this site but I love to browse. You can search by recipient so this is a great site for all ages but they have some out-of-this-world kids gifts like these funny face plates so kids can play with their food, this shovel you wear on your hand like some sort of sandcastle-making super hero, or this sleek and adorable birdie alarm clock. If you have an older kid, I'm sure you'd find something here.

Etsy
Of course I couldn't let this post go by without a shout out to the handmade and loads of creative gifties out there. Try searching for your favorite sports team to find something unique (oh how I have had to resist all the cute Chicago Bears onesies and hats and toys on there). Or try this cool store for a bunch of toys made out of wood (I so want the wooden camera... for Eli, not me. Okay, maybe me.). Or how about a sweet felt alphabet? I may try my hand at making one someday, but I love the look of felt letters. If I was buying for an older kiddo, I'd try etsy for something unique.

Books
Yes, books are awesome just because. When my parents moved this summer I found some of my most treasured books from my childhood, whose stories are so familiar they were like good friends.You can't go wrong with a good book.

Now, that should get you rolling and give you some ideas besides whatever main-stream toy companies are offering this year. (To be fair, Eli is totally getting the Playskool Elefun Busy Ball Popper because he IS Eli the Elephant and I have weakness for elephant themed gifts! And I have a coupon!).

-Heather

I'm working on my "giving with a conscious" post with some awesome sites you can buy gifts for the whole family AND help the world. I'll have that posted soon!

1 comment:

Jill K said...

way to go Ms. Gifts! (you are absolutely one of the most thoughtful, generous gift givers I know... absolutely more than qualified to write this kind of a post!)

Just one more to add.... wish I could think of the name of the company, but the sturdy plastic bi-plane kit that you bought for Isaiah 3-4 years ago is still one of our household favorites. played with every-day and well-loved by every kid that comes through the door!

And yes, the Jesus Story Book Bible is just the best. So glad you guys like it! And honestly, I'd only heard one song from the Lullaby CD but I'm so happy that the others are also sweet for you.

We love you guys so much!!