Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rolling Days.

I am 31 years old. And these days I'm being categorized with the two year olds. It's quite the feeling to know I need care just like my son. It's normal to hear "Are you on Eli and Heather?" or something along those lines. It's hilarious to be on the same level, same par as my boy, requiring someone to make sure I'm taken care of!

Now I'm not that needy. But we are all counting the days until I can boot-walk and do some things for myself or dare I say, do something for someone else. One week from today and, hopefully, my rolling days are over. We have all hit our limit at certain times this week, I think. I keep getting very frustrated with knowing that I could get something done so much quicker by myself, without having to ask for help or explain it. Plus I'm getting sick of letting things go that I am just itching to do.

Of course I had great expectations of what our time in Bismarck would be like the first few months. I figured Eli and I would take advantage of the great weather (there is so little hot sunshine weather here, you know) and explore the parks, rivers and trails around and maybe start looking at houses. And the reality is I haven’t left the house since Tuesday. Now I really could have, it’s not like I’m locked up, it’s just so hard to get me around and it’s tiring. Plus Eli got a little cold so that complicates matters. I have had to let so many expectations of how our first month(s) in Bismarck would be. I’ll get acquainted with the town later. Granted, it’ll be full of snow and freezing, so I’ll have to wait until next summer to tackle all those parks and trails.

I must say my husband is doing wonderfully. He is on Eli and me most every morning, lunch, and evening. He is tired. And in desperate need of some alone time! Plus he’s learning a new job (and doing wonderful at that, too!). My in-laws are also amazing at caring for Eli and me, feeding us, carting us around, doing our laundry, bringing us juice and snacks, etc, etc. We are no easy task. I’m so very, very grateful for them.

Perfect example of me being more work these days: I'm overhearing my mother-in-law and sister-in-law discuss getting me a wheelchair so I can go to the downtown street fair this weekend. How sweet are they?

This too shall pass. Yes, yes it will. And I will be cheering loudly when it does!

-Heather

No comments: