Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Complaining.

We've heard a lot of comments that would have never phased us before Maelee died. But now... well, it's like we have this automatic filter in our brains and we catch things. Especially people complaining about their kids.

Please, please, please don't complain about your kids. I know it's tempting when they are unruly and you're tired or crabby or running on little sleep. But remember us. Remember Maelee. Remember that you have a living, breathing miracle that is your child.

So don't complain that you are stuck at home with your kids or that they are driving you crazy or that they are limiting you from the life you want. Don't yell at them. Don't be short with them. Don't get annoyed. Don't chose pointless crap over being with them. Love them like the little miracles they are.

And if you are pregnant, don't negatively complain about all the crappy symptoms you are dealing with and just be grateful you get to be pregnant. You get the opportunity to carry that baby and love them. So many women wish they could be pregnant and/or have a baby and you get to. Be grateful. Be humbled.

6 weeks ago Maelee was born and even though she didn't take a breath, she taught Greg and I to never, ever take any possible future children for granted. We hope only thankfulness wells up in our souls and never complaints. Being a parent is a gift.

If you need to complain about something, go to the DMV (see below post).

-Heather

8 comments:

TheSpeights said...

I have to admit that I have been guilty of the complaining from time to time (I do have to say it's gotten better since you guys lost Maelee.) You do tend to get caught up in the emotion of what's happening at that very moment and don't look at the big picture. I'm glad you posted this. It keeps us in check and makes us remember what blessings children are. I'm sad you guys don't have Maelee.

And no. I do NOT plan on making a trip to the DMV anytime soon. Talk about a mad house!! ha!

SarahJ said...

Hi Heather-this post is brilliant and a much needed reminder for me. I can't imagine how annoying/hard it is to hear people complaining about the very circumstance that you and Greg only wish you had to deal with. Your words are extremely empowering. I reflect on what you say/write often. I hope you are finding some peace today. Again, I think of you often. Sarah Opsal Geltel

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather and Greg! I love how open and honest you both are, and thank you for sharing your hearts. I completely understand how those comments/complaints are hard to hear. After we lost our Sophia, I got so frustrated with parents complaining or getting angry with their crying baby or for not getting enough sleep. My whole perspective had changed - I would have given anything to hear Sophia cry again.
I do still get pretty frustrated at times with my boys (especially my strong-willed 6-year-old), but to calm down all I have to do is remind myself, "But I still have him (here with me)!" That thought brings me to tears and instantly reminds me of what is important and that I am so thankful to be a mom.
I am praying for you guys daily.
Lisa Woodrow

Anonymous said...

Heather and Greg,
I just wanted to let you know that we are still here, reading and praying for you daily. It feels so small. I wish I could do more. Thank you for these great insights. The Lord is working so powerfully in your life. Impacting people more than you realize. I pray that you will see the hand of our Lord working in your lives someday.

Ireland's

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Heather. I'm so sorry if I've complained around you guys...I know I've done it. After having the 3 miscarriages it did seem easier to be content and not get aggravated but feel blessed to finally have a baby. But, there are times when it's easy to lose sight of that. We love you guys and don't ever want our words to hurt you. And, we need to be reminded how thankful we truly should be for the blessings God's given us.

Love ya'll and praying,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I sent an email to gretherforever... not sure if that is the email you mostly use. Just wanted to let you know, so you could check it. Still reading. Still praying.
Love,
Kimberly Anderson

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I really needed to hear this - Sheri Z

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Still thinking about you guys and still praying for you both.

Ami