Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Rant.

45 Miles. That's how many miles I drove today getting Gramps (our new-to-us car) registered (using our old car's plate and registration), title transferred (from ND) and vehicle tax paid. This involved: 1. Filling out and printing a form online and calling the DMV to verify what to do with it (Answer given: "go to any DMV office, turn in form, pay $10"... easy peasy, right?). 2. Drove to the DMV office surprisingly close to our house. Told I can't do title transfer there. Must drive to full service DMV office in Ballentine. 3. Drove to Ballentine. Short wait time. Gave title, paid $25. Told I have to pay the vehicle tax at the county Treasurer's Office, get receipt and bring it back to any DMV. 4. Drove to downtown Columbia to Treasurer's Office. Had to park far away in metered spot. Walked to office, read sign directing me to the Auditor. Got tax due bill there. Walked to Treasurer's Office, paid $252.65 vehicle tax, got the "golden ticket" receipt. 5. Drove back to first DMV office near us. Waited a looong time to give them receipt. Paid $24. Received new decal. New title will be mailed to us. 45 miles, 2+ hours, 8 government employees, and $301.65 later I can finally check this off our list of things to do (a HUGE accomplishment for me who has spent most of the last 6 weeks on the couch). Seriously South Carolina - does this really need to be so difficult and inefficient? -Heather (thanks for letting me rant)

5 comments:

TheSpeights said...

All I can say is UGH. The DMV. Boo. Congrats on actually getting things accomplished though. Most spend a whole day bouncing around and still not having anything done.

Nikole said...

It is hideous! I hate dealing with the DMV for anything. Thankfully, there is a DMV near the Lexington County tax office, so its not such a long drive. But I agree, seems like they could consolidate so there's not so much run-around for vehicle-related expenses. I like to have a big-picture idea of what I need to do, so when they say "go here" I'll ask what the next step is after that and they act like I just asked for the moon. Really folks, have some good ol' southern hospitality!

Unknown said...

Ah, Government efficiency! Just be glad you don't have to work in the middle of it. :)

Tengesdal 4 said...

Rant on.... that is CRAZY!!! Gotta love the Southern version of efficiency! :)

Lauren said...

I am so proud of you for getting this done! It was certainly not easy or fun, but you did it! You go, girl!
Lauren