Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Retreat.

After we drop my mom off at the airport on Saturday morning, we want to get out of town. We are hoping to go somewhere a few hours from here, stay the night and spend Sunday together relaxing, missing Maelee together, dealing with this first Mother's Day.

If we were up north, we could go to this amazing lodge in Wisconsin where bereaved parents can stay for $25/night. We could retreat at a place that's sole purpose is to help with the loss of your child (Faith's Lodge - www.faithslodge.org). I think someone should build one in the mountains in N.C..

So I have to find a place for us to stay, hopefully a quaint bed & breakfast. But what do I say when I call for a reservation? "Excuse me but can you tell me if there will be any babies around or any mother's day celebrations going on or any cute little red-headed girls?". I know I'll have to deal with these things but... not this weekend please.

So for an update on how we are doing... We are both feeling quite inadequate, full of questions, unmotivated and unfocused, trying to be honest, wondering how to grieve well and to love God through this. We really do want our faith to be proved genuine through this trial... oh that we wouldn't waste this.
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:6-9)
-Heather

9 comments:

Linnea said...

I would donate to a fund to get you guys to Wisconsin!

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,
I love these verses and do pray that your faith would continue to be strong and sure. The verses before this passage are so wonderful also. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us NEW BIRTH into a living hope-through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade-kept in heaven for you..."
To think that Maelee is experiencing this right now. But oh how we miss and long to see her and know her.
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers,
Love you,
Mom K a.k.a. Grandma

Dori said...

Greg and Heather - Will pray you find the right place for this weekend. I went to some small cottages in North Carolina: http://thecottagesofflatrock.com/home.html Very simple, full kitchen, all have screen porch. Seemed to attract more retirement age people, so might fit what you want? Something to check out? Not sure you are getting my emails, but just want to remind you I think of you three and pray for you every day. Love - Dori

Anonymous said...

In our devotions we read from Isaiah 65:17-25 about the new heavens and new earth. What a glorious hope we have in things to come. We will be united with our loved ones and the ones we did not even get to meet! Heather, this Sunday will be hard...I remember after a miscarriage, our room was filled with cards and gifts and a Precious Moments figurine...I took them all down and bawled. I know my situation was not anything like losing Maelee, but there is healing with time. Not forgetting, but God's grace is suffcient and He will use you and Greg mightily to comfort others. I am so sorry you and Greg are suffering so. You are in our prayers and look forward to hugging you soon! Love you much! Aunt Ruth PS...hope you look up the scripture I mentioned!

Jill K said...

Heather and Greg,

We are trusting that your hearts' cries- even faint cries- that this searing pain not be wasted are Heard, Recieved, Delighted in by God.... I believe confidently:

He will not let Maelee's life or your pain at her death be wasted even one bit. He will (He WILL) use it All for His Glory AND your good.

And with Linnea, we would LOVE to get in on a retreat fund for you.

We love you so much-
jill

Andrea said...

I'd donate too!

Anonymous said...

Have you looked at Mepkin Abbey?

http://www.mepkinabbey.org/

Not very B&B ish, but they do accommodate married couples. It's donation only, very peaceful with beautiful gardens, and you can participate in the services, receive spiritual direction (or not), as you like.

Anyway, wishing you both space for God this weekend. Peace

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
We've always loved going to Pettigru Place in Greenville, SC. We've gone there for several anniversary trips. Never seen any kids there, but I think you should feel free to ask and tell them about what you're looking for. They have always been wonderful to us. I think they have a Web site, but I haven't looked it up...sorry! Praying that you two have a good/not as tough weekend and especially Sunday. Love you!

Becky & Jason

Anonymous said...

Maelee's short life has touched a lot of people. It has broken me personally and I know it has broken others. In times of brokenness, we are very teachable and God can reach us in a special way. Would we all trade our brokenness for Maelee? Of course!! What I am trying to say is that God has used something tragic to bring us all closer to Him. He will use you and this experience for His glory. Love, Tricia