Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dr. Smith App't.

Here's my attempt at being brief: My platelet count was up, close to normal! This could still be from the steroids I was given last week but overall, Dr. Smith was not overly concerned and told me I shouldn't be either. They want to see me every week until baby is here to check my levels and whatnot. 

My BP was also up (first time since being on bed rest). This is sort of good thing for me mentally, however, because it proves being on bed rest is the absolute best thing for me and baby. Apparently getting ready, driving to the appointment, getting in, etc, was too much for me as my blood pressure went up pretty high. I was actually excited to get back to the couch when my appointment was over! 

I have all my lab results to give to my OB doctor tomorrow. That along with checking my cervix and another ultrasound tomorrow should give them a pretty good idea what's going on... so I guess we'll see what they say concerning possible induction. It doesn't look like I'll be off bed rest anytime soon, that's for sure. 

Man it's hard to be brief, but that's all you need to know from today!

I do have to say that Dr. Smith made my day. He reminded me of a southern Bob Barker. He popped his head in right away when I got in the room to say "I know this place is scary but I'm sure you'll be just fine" and left. I guess he figured this little pregnant lady was freaked out about being at the oncology place with all these cancer patients around (he was right). He asked me a ton of questions and it's definitely nice to know that he cares about my file (and cool that we have a second opinion on everything going on). 

I started to feel like I could be on an episode of House because he was throwing terms like "lupus" around (he was just making sure no doc has ever said anything about these various diseases to me before). He said in all his years "I've never had a pregnant patient with low platelets have any major problems, and I don't think you'll be the first, knock on wood." He also explained that the reason they are low could just be that the baby is only 1/2 me and that my body could be making some antibodies to the 1/2 Greg part of baby... weird. I don't think I'll dwell on that too much. If my platelets go very low in the next weeks, he said he would possibly give me steroids. That will only happen if they go way low... so I'm going for not. More info tomorrow after the morning appointment!

No comments: