Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Update from Room 434.

This is the first time since being admitted to the hospital that I felt well enough to say much (and the first time I could type). The short update: they are still concerned about preeclampsia and they are monitoring my urine (for protein) and my blood platelets (which have been going lower). They are probably monitoring other stuff, too, but I'm not wise in medical-ease so I don't know! They are also keeping baby monitored at all times. They will decide after tomorrow morning full 24 hour urine collection test (and blood tests) if this is indeed preeclampsia and if so, what the course of action will be (the doc said the word induction when talking about it). That's about all we know. The details, if you really want to know: I had a normal app't today at 2:30pm and the doc's office always calls to remind you about it. When they called yesterday I impulsively decided to ask them to have the nurse call me since I had a bad headache yet again (I had one last Thursday, Friday and Monday) and was a bit worried since the swollen feet thing started last Thursday, too. When she called, she said I needed to get my blood pressure checked so I went to CVS down the road and did that. My BP was very high. She asked that I come in (after lunch of course, doctor's need to eat too!). After more confirmed high BP checks and meeting with the doctor, she had me admitted to the triage ob unit (conveniently connected to my obgyn office but a heck of a maze to find) for monitoring. By then my headache was becoming very, very annoying especially because I hadn't ate much that day (what was I thinking having a measly little salad?!)... Greg came at this time (whew) and we just hung out in the triage room waiting for the doc on call. We watched the Food Network - totally dumb idea since they couldn't give me anything until confirming with the doc. I am now craving this very easy but scrumptious looking asparagus lasagna. My headache peaked around 5:30 or so and the doc finally came around 6pm. He said my BP had gone down since being there (good thing) but the platelet count was low so he wanted to keep me overnight (esp with the headache). He left with promises of liquids and food. The nurse left to find me a new room. HOURS later the nurse finally wheeled me down the hall to my new room complete with a pull-out chair thing for Greg. And she brought me 3 kinds of juice (I downed three of them in a few minutes... she was impressed). One lady tried to put my IV in but couldn't (bad veins, tough skin, no water = bad combo) so they had to call the IV crew. The nurse told me it was crazy busy here and apparently all the preggo ladies of Columbia wanted to be delivered that day. At least we got a room! She informed me no food which was slightly traumatic for me since I really hadn't ate anything but that dumb salad and I knew the main reason was just in case I needed emergency surgery later. So when Greg left later to pick up a few things from the house, he brought back two croissants from Jonathan and Rachel and I ate them. Sssshhh - don't tell the doctors!!! They were the best tasting bread ever. They decided to put me on magnesium sulfate and I could try to explain why but I'd fail. Just know it took forever for that specialized IV crew to make it here (like 4 hours later) and even she had to try three different entry points before finding success in my hand. OUCH! And that stuff was horrible. It hurt going in because they gave me a super dosage to start. And the IV machine beeps every 30 seconds which after 2 hours became my nemesis... and started my bad headache/migraine back with full force. I couldn't sleep because it made me SUPER hot (and found out later something was wrong with our heat in our room). This was the point that I reached miserable status! Finally at 2:50am I asked for something that I had refused earlier: meds to help me sleep. It worked, sort of, and I slept on and off 'til 6am. I felt a bit drugged for sure and was really bummed when I called for breakfast and got the message only clear liquids. Ugh! They hadn't got the message that I was good to go for food... so they brought up the "clear liquids" bfast which included the southern delicacy of grits (icky! Greg ate), green jello (I ate, tastes the same as it did 20 years ago), lemon pie yogurt (Greg ate), coffee (no one drank), milk (no one drank). So pretty pointless. Thankfully the nurse called awhile later and got me approved for REAL FOOD which I ordered an omlet and bagel with cream cheese. Greg and I ate all of that happily! I also got poked some more this morning for more lab tests. They came back with low counts again so when the (different) doc and (different) nurse came in at 8am (new shift) they told me I'd be staying until tomorrow morning to monitor the urine and blood today. Best thing was that the doc said I could go off the magnesium sulfate - no more annoying IV machine! They are keeping the IV in my hand, but it's one less cord sticking out of me. My headache was pretty bad so they gave me something for that around 11am. I also got a shower. And I got to order lunch from their menu (cheese ravioli, french fries and a delicious fruit plate). I felt much better after all that and finally got some sleep this afternoon while Greg went home to pick up a few things (and he did dishes, how wonderful is he?!). The chaplain came to visit me right after my nap (gotta love the south) and she was very sweet to talk with me and pray for baby. She even prayed that we would have a good name for her! Greg came back and is starting a nap and I'm going to try to do the same. That's every detail about the last 26 hours that I can think of at this point and figure will come in handy when telling baby about my pregnancy/her arrival someday. Keep praying for the next days especially for wisdom for the doctors and nurses since we are very clueless and are a bit at their mercy. We do want to make sure we are making informed decisions...but so, so thankful for modern medicine and for knowing that the Lord is fully in control and knows exactly the days of our little girls life (Psalm 139). PS Visitor info - since I'm on the high risk OB unit, they only allow one or two folks around so we're good for now. I may want someone to bring Greg a meal for supper tonight, we'll call or email folks about that if needed. Here's a snapshot of one of the two monitors on my belly that let us know baby's doing good (frankly, I look like crap so that is the reason for no web cam shot of me!):

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh! I feel for you! I have been on the other side of that bed and believe me, they are watching you and little girl closely! you are in the best place for you right now, though i know you are miserable. preeclampsia can be no joke, so try to understand all the harsh rules about food and stuff and attempt to comply:) although i must admit, i hid saltines in my bed and dipped my chicken broth in them when on clear liquids after my c-section wiht my first child!! hang in there!! aubrey