Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's All About Bed Rest.

Short version: 
Everything is looking great! My blood pressure went super high at the appointment thus proving that bed rest is the absolute best thing for me right now. I will be on bed rest the duration of this pregnancy. But as of now, I will not be induced as long as my BP stays normal (meaning I have to stay glued to the couch). This could mean another three weeks possibly. Yikes! 

Random Thoughts: Best quote from my doc app't this morning: "I am amazed that you haven't delivered yet." This came from the same doctor that had me admitted to the hospital last Tuesday. She was shocked at my platelet levels and that everything was looking great. She reaffirmed that bed rest was working and basically said we'll just take it a week at a time. My cervix wasn't dilated so I have had to readjust some of my thinking that baby was coming soon. She may just stay put 'til her due date. Which means a looong stretch ahead for me. But what a praise report compared to all the unknowns and weird symptoms of last week! 

So I keep telling myself: 
 1. I want to live.
 2. I want baby to come on her time and not be induced, if possible.
 3. I am not the first woman to give birth. Since Eve, women have been doing this having babies thing.
4. Someday I am going to wish I had orders to rest on the couch and only get up to pee. 

Therefore if I need to stay on bed rest, that's what we'll do. Greg keeps saying "one day at a time" to help me not freak out at the weeks ahead. And I have to keep saying "I just can't" when it comes to doing things (cooking, cleaning, shopping, bending down to pick up the little piece of lint that's been driving me crazy on the rug, etc)... even when I want to. I just can't. 

 Best part of the appointment today: the ultrasound. Not sure why but the tech switched screens over to the 3D/4D screen (normally you can do this for an extra $250 or something and who knows, we'll probably pay for it even though we didn't ask for it)... so we saw baby grether in 3D! It was so sweet! Her little face was all smooshed so it looks like her nose is huge, and her little hand was right next to her face the whole time (which is exactly how I sleep and so does my mom), but we got to see her make a few faces (one of utter disgust) and make lots of sucking motions. It was definitely better than a regular ultrasound. Still hard to imagine the little being in there is a real live human that is going to look like Greg and I (probably)... though who cares what she looks like as long as she's healthy. The amniotic fluid and placenta were good and her little heart, lungs, kidneys all looked good as well. Yippee!! They didn't measure her but plan to do that next week. 

So next week is basically the same as this week: blood tests Wednesday, OB app't Thursday with ultrasound. 

 Here's a few of the ultrasound pics... too bad we couldn't have them digitally and we don't have a scanner, so this will have to do: I'm imitating what she's doing in the womb And here she is... you have to be pretty smart or medical or really into ultrasounds to see a baby here (her hand is what's on the right side of her face). And now we just wait to get to see her on the outside!

2 comments:

Nikole said...

Thanks for the updates. I was thinking about calling you but didn't want to be a bother. Because I'm sure you're very busy. Excuse my sleep-deprived reasoning. You'll understand in a few more weeks. :)

Anonymous said...

I think she has your nose! :)