Thursday, October 3, 2013

Bootless.

I am bootless! Goodbye bulky left-foot companion! You are not welcome anymore, just in time for labor!

My foot is healed up but very sore and stiff and confused as to why it hasn't moved much in the last seven-plus weeks. My hips and back and bum are all quite mumbled and sore as well. But I will take walking with two shoes and a gimpy limp over walking like a one-booted Frankenstein any day.

Every time I was out, someone would comment to me "oh you poor thing!", "oh that is a bad combination", "oh no!" or another "oh" statement of pity. The most memorable was the first day I could walk with the boot and I was at the doctor for my special growth ultrasound, which was in the basement of the building I normally go to. They didn't tell me the basement was really just a super long hallway that goes under the road to the actual hospital (read: a long walk). You know those railings hospitals have for old people to hold onto in the hallway? I was basically hugging that. A surgeon was walking with his lunch and saw me and said sympathetically "I feel like I should pick you up and carry you!". And he probably would have if some kind hospital employee I had talked to wouldn't have come saved the day with a wheelchair. 

I am glad to not be quite the specimen walking around. And hopefully my foot, leg, body will recover from this as well as from having a baby. Today I saw a lady with a boot and crutches and I went up and talked to her about her injury. I wouldn't have talked to her otherwise so I suppose you can say my experience has bonded me with all other boot-walkers. And if I ever meet a pregnant boot-walker? I will give them a big hug and chocolate.

-Heather

No comments: