Monday, October 7, 2013

Copycat Sister.

Annalee wants to be just like big bro apparently. She decided she wanted to go back in the hospital for dehydration and jaundice issues. Just like Eli did after he was born. I tell ya, we are just full of drama!

She'll be fine, just like Eli. They stuck a tube in her nose to her stomach to pump her with basically pedialyte to get some fluids in her so that she'll be interested in nursing again and get back to more normal. Her jaundice levels actually came back decent which is awesome and makes me glad we came in before they got bad. 

We took her to the family practice doc today which lead us here. I'm glad because last night was ROUGH. Annalee was frustrated, I think, in not getting what she needed. This led to her being more and more lethargic today. My milk needs to get in and into her tummy! We are on the right track now though, I'll be in the NICU nursing every three hours tonight. 

It'll be tiring but ideally we can avoid anymore 'didn't sleep more than an hour total' nights like last. Daddy and Mommy are exhausted! I did start to realize why the pediatrician said having two kids is four times the work. Eli was also up last night. Poor kid has had such a roller coaster few days. 

Annalee was dubbed "super tongue" in the nursery because she has quite the strong, active tongue and sucking reflex. She latched hours after birth but I made the mistake of letting her on there too long and I've been paying the price since. I am raw, to put it bluntly. It's been loads more painful than with Eli but we keep at it since we want my milk to come in, obviously. I got some drugs for pain that I hope to take before nursing that should help that, my soreness from delivery, and my increasingly sore foot. Whadda mess! I'm so glad we have done this before, so glad for the good outcome, so glad for getting good care for our girl. 

Thanks for the continued prayers that our girl will get what she needs to get better! I'll keep you updated.

-Heather

3 comments:

Katie said...

oh friend, 1 hour total? yowzers! i will pray for you and annalee tonight. nora also has a very strong suck, and i nursed her for an hour about 20 minutes after she was born. the next feeding, i was dripping blood. yep. so i feel ya! the girls need a break, but no rest for the weary when it comes to feeding a newborn baby!

Katie said...

p.s. when the pain is bad, bite your arm...it'll distract your brain from the pain of nursing on damaged/sore nips. of course, it's not supposed to hurt, but one bad latch/"off" nursing session can cause damage that can cause a LOT of pain for quite some time, seeing as how you have to nurse so frequently around the clock at the beginning. also, those "soothies" gel pads and lansinoh really do help. prayed for you all this morning and wish i could get my hands on that precious girly bundle!

Katie said...

and, um, since i wasn't satisfied with just 2 comments on the same post... i just wanted to encourage you on the upside of that awesomely strong suck. she will likely be a FAST nurser. where griffin nursed for 45 min-1hr for like 4-5 months, nora was down to 7 minutes by like 7 or 8 weeks! super duper fast. and that is SO helpful when you are also caring for her older brother!