Sunday, October 13, 2013

Bottle This and That.

Considering Eli only took an occasional bottle for his first two months, then refused one, I'm in a new territory here. This pumping is a lot of work! Worth it, for sure. But it definitely takes getting used to the extra time, effort and equipment!

We are needing to buy a few things so I thought I'd ask for opinions from you all.  I made the mistake of reading reviews on Amazon for a few products and now I'm all undecided about which to buy, etc. And since we have no BabysRus or Buy Buy Baby here, I need to find it at Target or online. If only I would have known I'd need this stuff when at Tot Trade (kids consignment sale I loved in Cola)! Oh well. 

Bottle Warmer - brand? Since we are in the basement not near the kitchen, it'll be easiest for middle of the night feedings to have a bottle warmer near by. The reviews on these are all across the board. I just want one that works, won't burn Annalee's milk and won't cost a ton.

Bottles - brand? And sizes? We have lots of smaller Medela bottles now (but only three nipples, go figure). I'm thinking we'll need some bigger ones and I'm not sure which route to go. Dr. Browns? How many do you need for one baby?

Bottle Drying Rack - style? Seems silly to buy one but we are going to try keep the bottles contained to the basement and not take up the kitchen. And we need to wash them obviously.

Annalee seems to be gaining weight with the bottle feeding (it's working!) and she's doing better at it (she sometimes remembers to take a breath when feeding). She spits up quite a bit. I'll be buying more burp cloths soon I'm sure. She definitely needs some time to digest after eating. But so do I, so no criticism from me! Usually we just hold her upright for awhile after and that seems to help.

So let me know if you have any product recommendations for me!

-Heather

3 comments:

Katie said...

so glad she is getting the hang of it! we use dr. brown's widemouth bottles with nora for the occasional bottle whilst out and about. they have a wider nipple base that nora had an easier time latching onto. i know you didn't ask for recommendations on burp cloths, but since nora is a HEAVY spitter, i have a suggestion of what has been best for that. we cloth diapered with griffin, and we had a bunch of plain old 6 ply cloth diapers that i resurrected for burp cloths. the white gerber ones are fine, and the top of the line are the unbleached cotton prefolds. you can get them on amazon, and they are so super absorbent. you really can't beat 'em for burp cloths and they're way cheaper!

Joel & Kelly said...

Hey, Heather--it's been a long time since we've talked, but wanted to know your blog has been a lifeline these past 6 weeks. I started reading Maelee's story after Joel and I lost our 3rd baby, Lily. Your journey gave words and expression to some of what we were going through. Thanks for being willing to share the journey, write honestly, and give hope to others that somehow we'd make it through, albeit limping the whole way. I started blogging for my own processing. joelandkelly.blogspot.com. Delighted to see God bring two beautiful gifts into your life after such grief. Rich blessings on you and your sweet family. Kelly (Grecian) Helms

BisMan Cheapskate said...

I nursed and bottle fed all three of my kids. I swear by the Playtex Nursers with drop-ins. They heat up WAY faster than any other bottle. And they're easier to clean :)