Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ambien for life

Heather's recovering pretty well physically. She goes out walking every day. Every day she adds one more house to her route. She's up to six right now. I told her by next year this time, she'll be able to walk to Batesburg-Leesville and back ... well, maybe not.

She still has pain, but that's to be expected. She's also been sleeping pretty well at night. She takes an Ambien before bed. After she takes that, she starts to doze off while brushing her teeth. Then she zombie walks to the bed with a drugged-up-half-smile on her face.

Sometimes we wish there was an Ambien for life. Something to escape from the hardships. Something to erase all depressing thoughts. Something to cover up all the difficulties.

But we've also talked a few times about how we don't want to waste this suffering. God can use it for good. I remember reading this article a few years back and it's always stuck with me. Deep, biblical truths like this are what sustain us during times like this.

But I don't want to end this post with some super spiritual panacea. This is a difficult time. This is not easy. This is suffering.
-Greg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every day brother and sister. It helps me to see all the love, support, and prayers from everyone. It is difficult for me to find words that make sense to say, so I'll just say I love you and you are constantly on my mind. -CK

Anonymous said...

Heather and Greg, you are on mind my all the time. It is amazing to see the Lord work through you and impact so many people. I see angels surrounding your family during this suffering. Praying that you will cling to the Lord's promises. I appreciate all the updates. Love you, know that I'm praying always.
Chris Ireland

TheSpeights said...

Thank you so much for writing. We are all thinking of you guys and keeping you in our prayers.

-court

Linnea said...

I am currently unable to walk through Walmart without bursting into tears or sleep through the night without nightmares about family members dieing. I know its unexplainably worse for you. I'm sorry. I love you.

AshleyM said...

i was listening to cool hand luke today and wholly man, was thinking of you guys! especially with "the fires of life" and "rest for the weary"...so i wanted to just post the lyrics of "fires of life" and know that it's my prayer for you guys - it's long...sorry! :)

I’ve been there
It’s more than just stress
Oh, that you had the wings of a dove
You would fly away and rest (Psalm 55:6)

Weeping may last for the night
The longest night of your life
But I can promise you that
Rejoicing comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5)

Are you broken?
Are you dismayed?
You know you did the best you could do
But it ended up this way (Psalm 73:13…23-26)

Weeping may last for the night
The longest night of your life
But I can promise you that
Rejoicing comes in the morning

You will both lay down in peace, and you will sleep (Psalm 4:8)
Where morning dawns and evening fades God calls forth songs of joy (Psalm 65:8)
He’ll sing to you and quiet you with love (Zephaniah 3:17)

I know you feel
You won’t last another day
But when the fires of life arise
You will walk on through unscathed (Isaiah 43:2)

Weeping may last for the night
The longest night of your life
But I can promise you that
Rejoicing comes in the morning

...i can't say i know how you feel...but there's just so many promises mark from chl speaks of in this song! love you guys - ashley m