Friday, April 9, 2010

Expectations and reprieve

Our expectations are crushed every day. I expected to wake up to a crying baby. Instead I'm waking up to a crying wife. I expected to be tired from 2 a.m. feedings. Instead I'm tired from insomnia. Heather was expecting to be nursing now. But her body doesn't know what happened.

I'm also learning how emotions like laughing and crying are so closely connected. For those who wish they could be here with us right now, I have to say that it's not all doom and gloom at our house. When the tears run dry for a time, we have had some fun conversations. I'll name two that may give you some emotional reprieve.

1) My uncle Tony is a catholic priest on an island off of Florida. He was telling us about all these crazy cat ladies who wander around the church grounds. Evidentially, cats are taking over the island because these crazy ladies feed the cats all the time and let them breed incessantly.

To solve the problem, the church set up a separate feeding station for the cats a ways away from the church. They also put up signs to deter the ladies from setting out milk and cat food all over the campus.

Well, the ladies still kept feeding them in the middle of night ... so the cats just multiplied even more because now they had two places to eat. We gave him a few solutions ... but I can't remember them all ... something about arsenic and guns.

He also told us about one of his first weeks at the church. When he walked past one of the crazy cat ladies, he made a comment like, "Man, there are a lot of cats around here."

The lady said back, "Yes there are. You like cats, don't you?"

"Yes, I love them! Stir-fried with lime."

2) Any pregnant woman knows about Preparation H and Tucks wipes. One ingredient in it is cod liver oil, or shark liver oil. Heather and I started thinking, who came up with that idea? Did some old seaman with bad hemorrhoids accidentally sit on a fish one day? ... "Oh, that's feels kind of good."

Side note: I got a call from some flower lady in Columbia, Kentucky. Someone ordered flowers for us but didn't know what state we lived in. It must've been someone from up north, who thinks all the states down here are kind of the same. Same with people not from the Northeast ... they all seem like just one giant city up there.

5 comments:

TheSpeights said...

It does "feel good" to hear that you guys are able to make the best of the situation with some laughter and stories from time to time. Of course you know you guys stay on our minds all day and all night. It's just so hard to understand why things worked out the way they did. I'm so happy you have great family and friends surrounding you right now. Keep the posts coming. I keep your blog up almost all day!

I'm keeping you guys in my VERY LOUD prayers.
-Courtney

Seth Franke said...

hahaha...you crack me up, Greg. Still praying for you all the time.

Jill K said...

Good to hear... I can't imagine you guys without picturing you with some laughs in your day somehow. Grace of God. Pure Grace. May it continue to abound for you all... may the Grace Giver be very present with you.

we're praying loud prayers for you too - which is tough in a Chinese apartment building but too bad for the neighbors... (Is there something to yelling as a means of grief relief?)

love you so-
Matt and Jill

Greg Ireland said...

Heather and Greg,

We've followed you guys the last couple of days. I don't have much to say, except that our hearts have spent quite a bit of time talking to the throne of Grace on your behalf. We've cried for you, and admired you. I know the Lord will comfort you, even if it takes awhile. We're looking forward to your updates and hope to talk to you when you feel like you can.

Love,

Greg and Chris

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear u find time for laughter! it truly heals!!! still thinking & praying for you guys 8)
may god bless you & keep you in his strength.