Thursday, April 15, 2010

A poem

A friend sent us this poem last night. She said we could post it for you all to read.

Maelee

I’m sorry that I never got to meet you
Or see your precious smile or hear your cry
Or see in you your dad’s great sense of humor
Or look at you and see your mother’s eyes

I’m sad for all you’ll miss with your great parents
For the things they dreamt of doing just with you
The memories you would have made together
Of long car rides or going to the zoo

I hate the pain they’re feeling now without you
The feeling that their world’s falling apart
The empty crib inside your pretty nursery
The emptiness inside their arms and hearts

I wish you could’ve met your future siblings
I know that one day they’ll wish the same too
You would’ve taught them all the things your parents
Wish they had first been able to teach you

I long for all the times we would have seen you
The joy we would have had to watch you grow
To learn to walk, to speak, to ask, discover
To learn the things we wanted you to know

I’m missing that we never got to teach you
About our Saviour that you now know well
You know far more about Him now than we do
But we wish we could’ve been the ones to tell

We look to Him to find our only comfort
We know that though we can’t, He’s holding you
We find great strength in knowing that He’s sovereign
We only ask that He would hold us too

-RL

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Amen! The poem speaks for us all. What a special gift.

Kim said...

A beautiful poem and well said.

TheSpeights said...

I love this poem. I hope you guys keep it around for many years to come.

Nancy Brown said...

What a beautiful expression of what we are all feeling with your family. Nancy Brown (Amy's MIL)

Jill K said...

Yes- a treasured gift. So beautifully written. I'm so glad we can all keep these words in our hearts and lives. Such a sweet tribute.