Wednesday, April 14, 2010

From a grandfather's perspective

The following is what Maelee's grandpa Kasowski would like to say:

How is a grandfather, who just lost his granddaughter, Maelee Linn, who sees his son and beautiful daughter-in-law in heavy mourning, supposed to behave? Am I supposed to be this perfect old saint who always has words of wisdom, words that will soothe the ache in those he loves? I do not feel perfect. I definitely do not feel like a saint. I do not feel any words of wisdom. I just ache as my family aches.

I have waves of anger, then deep sadness. Anger at my wonderful Heavenly Father who has allowed my family to suffer like this. Sadness that I will not be able to rock Maelee to sleep; to use Grandpa’s patented “sleeper hold” when she is fussing or just not feeling good about life. Sadness that Grandpa will not be able to “spoil bunches” and then spoil some more.

But then, a wave of comfort and peace comes over me; knowing that God does not allow more than we are able to handle with His help. Comfort in knowing that all things work for good, for those who love the Lord. Comfort in knowing that Maelee is not alone. She is in the Lord’s arms right now, being rocked and knowing that the Lord has an even better “sleeper hold” than I; knowing that she is being spoiled, if that is possible in heaven, by her uncle John, her Great Grandpa Chris, and those in our family who have gone on before her.

I will always cherish holding her after the delivery and looking upon her beautiful face; a face like her Mamma Heather’s. I will always remember looking at her big feet; feet like her Daddy Greg; her long fingers with flat finger nails…like mine. Sorry… another melt-down time.

What does it mean that our Lord would choose Greg and Heather, our family, to experience this loss? I have to believe that He uses our experiences in this life to draw us close to Him and that He will comfort those who call upon His name; that everything that occurs is according to His perfect plan and purpose. God will meet us and comfort us so that we can be used by Him to comfort others.

How great is our HOPE IN HIM! Thank you Lord! I love you, Maelee Linn.

3 comments:

TheSpeights said...

Wow. That is beautiful. Your family is amazing.

Anonymous said...

These words are "AMAZING"! And coming from a grandfather who loves his granddaugther so very much!! The Lord is so great to place people in our lives, who have such big hearts!! god bless you and your family.....lil Maelee Linn is so loved by so many. she has truly touched my heart!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Grandpa for sharing. As a Grandma I cannot imagine your pain and heart ache. God bless you and hold you tight. Laura