Friday, April 16, 2010

Maelee's Prints.

The time at the hospital is a bit of a daze for me especially. But I remember our very sweet nurse, Lauren, asking if we wanted to have Maelee's hand print and foot print cast in seashells. I really didn't know what she meant but I am now so very, very grateful for her initiative in doing that. Sometimes I get angry at the seashells and think how all we came home with is some stupid seashells... but mostly I love to look at them and lightly touch them (I'm worried that I will wear her prints off and then won't have them in a few years). It's one of the very few pieces of Maelee that we will ever have. So I'm thankful for Lauren, for the seashells that have our daughter's prints on them, for something to hold when I desperately need to hold something.

I took these photos this morning and couldn't really focus because I kept tearing up. Those of you that know me know that I'm sort of a photographer. Every time we are around our nieces and nephews I take a bagazillion photos of them. I was really looking forward to daily photo shoots with Maelee... I actually had a plan to take a photo of her every day for the first month and do this sweet black and white montage of photos. I figured she would first recognize her mommy as this person with a big black thing on her face (my Nikon). So I mourn all the photos we will never have of her.

Here's our daughter's hand print:


Here's our daughter's foot print:


Our family likes to analyze who Maelee takes after... and it's nice to hear all the speculation. I imagine her as a perfect combo of all the family we love so much. She did have quite a bit of red hair and thankfully we have a small bit of her beautiful hair to look at, too.

11 comments:

Seth Franke said...

Hi Heather. What a wonderful memorial of Maelee. When I first saw these prints in person I wasn't expecting it, and I was cut straight to the heart, as I have been many times since she has been gone. It's amazing how even her prints are so beautiful, so amazing, so precious and unique and wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I wish I had something really profound or uplifting to you - but I really have nothing.

I guess just want you to know that you and your daughter come to my mind often. And then I cry for you. And then I pray for you. I really don't even know what words to pray most of the time. So I am very thankful that the Holy Spirit is interceeding...

Wes and I love you, Greg, and baby Maelee. ~Rebekah

TheSpeights said...

Heather,
These are the sweetest photos I've ever seen. Truly. I understand the hard to see because of tears in your eyes because I can't see what I'm typing. That little hand.... that sweet little hand. These are amazing. I'm so glad you did this. We think of you guys all the time and love you all very much. Thank you so much for sharing this.

-court

Mike, Cindy, Luke and Anna Elizabeth said...

These made me cry the hardest at Maelee's memorial service, especially the lockets of her hair. I am glad you have these precious memories to hold forever. Good for you in being able to hold your camera to take the pictures!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful little prints. We love you guys and are praying for you often...every song I hear on the radio, I think of you. I know that's probably funny to you since you don't usually listen to the radio, but so many songs seem to have themes dealing with some type of pain or hurt or extremely difficult situation. We grieve with you.

I pray 2 things constantly for you: that you will have God's daily sufficient grace (I remember that line from a Laura Story song) and for His mercies to be new every morning. I know it must feel like you don't want to face each day, but may God give you everything you need each day. Love you!

Jason and Becky Williams

Unknown said...

hi again,
i am glad to be able to read your blog which sarah sent me the link to. of course i bawled over it. even tho we lost our baby 29 yrs ago it still brings tears at random things and those prints were so precious. i am so happy for you to have them and some hair to. Years ago they did not do that and I remember right after our son was born a nurse asked if i wanted to see him and she brot him back into the delivery room. i was so thankful for that sweet nurse because i would never had thot to ask to see him till it was to late. i wish she had asked if i wanted to hold him becasue i did not realize that i would have loved to hold him till i was home and my arms ached for him.
i have been praying so much for the two of you. It is so understand the ways of God...really impossible...but it is possible to totally trust in His unfailing love and faithfulness.
praying for you,
jan (Ben's mom)

Anonymous said...

So many scriptures come to mind but they do not seem adequate. I don't feel He is close to the brokehearted; I don't feel He comforts those who mourn. Yet, I know I cannot go on my "feelings". He IS close to the brokenhearted; He Does comfort those who mourn; our sorrows He carried. And His Word IS adequate.
So I will claim His promises for you and for me and know that in His time..."God will wipe every tear from their eyes". I love you guys and are mourning with you...always in my thoughts and prayers. Aunt Ruth

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful. You, and all of your family, cross our minds several times a day, and each time you do we pray for you.
with love,
Bill and Laurel

Jill K said...

Heather,
It is so precious to see those prints, those casts that touched her sweet hands and feet. We miss her so badly- miss her for you, miss her for us.
Thank you for sharing them Heather. It's so generous of you to share like this and I hope it does help you heal. I love how someone commented a while ago that hopefully sharing your grief like this and knowing that it is shared in part by so many others will somehow lighten, soften the load of it on you.
May it be. Praying, trusting God for grace for you toady.
Much love,
jill

Diane Kemp said...

I am so thankful that the nurse thought of the casting of her hand and foot. What a great memory! Thanks again for sharing your hearts with us! We are praying for you as you come to our minds often!
Diane

Anonymous said...

beautiful- tears of sorrow shared with you- Love you all- Kiara