Friday, April 9, 2010

In loving memory of Maelee Linn Kasowski

We are back from Maelee's memorial service. I know so many of you wanted to be there, but we had to keep it really small. So, to give everyone a picture of what took place, here's a summary:

We were planning on greeting people before, but that was too tough. So we just went straight into the service. We had to sit in the car a little bit before to compose ourselves, but composure just goes out the window in situations like this.

Opening Comments and Prayer - Jason Williams
Jason (our pastor) prayed to open things up and made a few comments, which I can post later.

Scripture Reading -- Job 1:20-21
Then my dad read a few verses from Job. The final verse has been going through my head non-stop the last few days. It's really all I can comprehend spiritually right now. I have no answers. But I have hope. People who don't have confident eternal answers--how do they cope with situations like this? I would be in complete and utter despair.

I'm going to post the Job verses in complete context so you get an idea of what he went through, but still was able to say.

"There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil. There were born to him seven sons and three daughters. He possessed 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, and 500 female donkeys, and very many servants, so that this man was the greatest of all the people of the east.

His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, "It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts." Thus Job did continually.

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them. The LORD said to Satan, "From where have you come?" Satan answered the LORD and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it."

And the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?"

Then Satan answered the LORD and said, "Does Job fear God for no reason? Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face."

And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against him do not stretch out your hand." So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Now there was a day when his sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, and there came a messenger to Job and said, "The oxen were plowing and the donkeys feeding beside them, and the Sabeans fell upon them and took them and struck down the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, "The fire of God fell from heaven and burned up the sheep and the servants and consumed them, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, "The Chaldeans formed three groups and made a raid on the camels and took them and struck down the servants with the edge of the sword, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

While he was yet speaking, there came another and said, "Your sons and daughters were eating and drinking wine in their oldest brother's house, and behold, a great wind came across the wilderness and struck the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young people, and they are dead, and I alone have escaped to tell you."

Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. THE LORD GAVE, AND THE LORD HAS TAKEN AWAY; BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD."
Job 1:1-21

Song: Blessed Be Your Name

We had this song at our wedding. It's like vowing, "in sickness and health" to God. Today it was a bit of comic relief because it was an instrumental and the lyrics were printed on the bulletin, but no one was sure whether they were supposed to sing or not. I had envisioned some low-key, elevator music, but this version had the full band. Regardless, it was encouraging to think on words like:

Blessed be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, Blessed be Your name

Scripture Reading: Robbie McAlister

"I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:

"Death is swallowed up in victory."
"O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?"

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

1 Corinthians 15:50-58

As my four-year-old nephew says, in the end, Jesus defeats all the bad guys, even death.

Closing Prayer: Robbie McAlister

There was another song that didn't make the memorial service, but Heather and I watched it minutes after we came back. My brother Matt and sister Jill put it together.

Riverbend supplied us with McAlister's Deli for lunch. My sister's flight was delayed last night and so she wasn't able to be here this morning. She comes in at 5 p.m. today. I know she is extremely frustrated, but it will be great to see her regardless.

Thanks everyone for reading and staying in touch.

13 comments:

Seth Franke said...

I love you two so much!!!

Anonymous said...

To God be the glory! So much love for you both. May your rich faith bring many to Him through your pain and suffering!

TheSpeights said...

Wow. It sounds like a beautiful service. I can't imagine how hard that was.

Steve was telling me they received a devotional book from their pastor when they miscarried. His wife's favorite part was the story entitled "Jesus Has A Rocking Chair." The visual alone made such a huge impact.

I'm so sorry you guys are going through such pain.

Virginia said...

Thanks for keeping us updated Greg. I know it must be hard to think of what to say and to try to articulate what you guys are going through. Words are not enough. We are continually lifting you up in prayer and crying with you. I have had puffy eyes since Monday. Tell Heather when we finally make it to Columbia, I'll bring cucumbers...along with lots of prayer (the real healer). The service sounds like it was beautiful. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of Maelee's proclamation of the gospel to the nations.

Kim said...

Thank you so much for sharing what you did for Maelee's memorial. It sounds like it was a beautiful service. We will continue to prya for you as you really begin your life in a new way. We are praying and trusting God to bring healing to your brokenness.

Brad&Steph Johnson said...

Greg and Heather! What a beautiful service for a little one who is in the arms of Jesus!! We Love You and are praying for you every step of the way.

Tengesdal 4 said...

Greg & Heather- we love you... We are praying that in this season you feel the love of Jesus through all of us who love, pray,& grieve with you...

Hopie said...

Dear Greg and Heather,

My heart has been grieving with you, and my prayers have been walking with you. The loss of a child is a grievous one indeed. Our Father in heaven, however, is holding little Maelee close to his heart until the day that He calls you home to hold her again in His Presence. He is our comfort.

Much love and many prayers, Hope

Anonymous said...

Greg & Heather,

This is Melissa Munro from UND. I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through, it is every parent's worst nightmare. I sat in my unborn babies room 2 nights ago & just cried at the thought of you walking into Maelee's room. I pray for your strength & peace. I also thought of a song by Twila Paris that I herd a while back, & I thought of your little angel.

A visitor from Heaven
If only for a while
A gift of love to be returned
We think of you and smile

A visitor from Heaven
Accompanied by grace
Reminding of a better love
And of a better place

With aching hearts and empty arms
We send you with a name
It hurts so much to let you go
But we’re so glad you came
We’re so glad you came

A visitor from Heaven
If only for a day
We thank Him for the time He gave
And now it’s time to say
We trust you to the Father’s love
And to His tender care
Held in the everlasting arms
And we’re so glad you’re there
We’re so glad you’re there

With breaking hearts and open hands
We send you with a name
It hurts so much to let you go
But we’re so glad you came
We’re so glad you came

Anonymous said...

I work with your sister Amy; I know you literally have no idea who I am, but just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers have been with you all week long. When I'm reading your blog and the tears start, it's hard to imagine that that is only a tiny fraction of what you feel. But I can't help but hope that in some small tiny fraction of a way, my heart reaching to yours (however far away or unknown that heart may be) helps hold you up just a little bit more.
My deepest sympathy,
Tanie B

Jill K said...

Guys-
We love what many others have already written in their comments, especially Virginia's last line.

Also, here's a bit of an email that Grandpa Dale sent out to family (it seems good that you have some of their words here too, even though they are getting to speak their words to you- this written place will be good as a memorial.)

"It is difficult to understand why we here on this side of heaven will not get to know her. But, at the same time, such a comfort knowing that she is already enjoying heaven with Jesus. Greg and I were talking this afternoon about how she is not alone. She is being bounced on Great Grandpa Chris's knee laughing with her uncle John about how great it is to be in the presence of God himself."

love you so-
Matt and Jill

Anonymous said...

Greg and Heather,

We too have been lifting you up in prayers. I hurt so much because I know you are hurting. I am so sorry you are going through this. Know that your family (close and distant) love you both very much. We wish we could be there to wrap our arms around you and take away some of your pain.

All our love,
Curt and Barb

Meaghan Fox said...

A couple in our church lost their 1.5 year old while he was sleeping. At his funeral they sang Blessed Be Your Name(: Praying for you guys in so many ways!! Meaghan Fox(friend of Lauren Swicegood)